1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pinball machine problem

1. May 6, 2006 #1
    I used PEsp = KE, which I got 16 = (0.5)(0.1)(v^2), and got 17.89, for my linear speed, and got that wrong. I know that once I get my linear speed, I plug that into an equation to get angular speed, but I would like to know how to get this linear speed correct. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2.5 meters?? Wow, that's a huge pinball machine!:biggrin:

You have forgotten to include the kinetic energy of rotation. You must add to the final kinetic energy [itex] {1 \over 2} I \omega^2[/itex]and use [itex]\omega = {v \over r} [/itex]

4. May 6, 2006 #3
    So PEsp = KE, 16 = (1/2)(0.1)(v^2) + (1/2)(0.1)(0.1^2)(v/0.1)?

5. May 6, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am confused by your second term! First, you need to compute the moment of inertia I of a sphere (you seemed to have use the mass instead of I!) Also, the (v/r) must be squared. And I don't know what you (0.1)^2 means.

6. May 6, 2006 #5
    Okay, my mistake! So is velocity = 12.649 m/s, and angular speed is 126.49 rad/s? I got this wrong...I dunno why.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  7. May 7, 2006 #6
    Bump! Anyone able to help me finish off this problem?

8. May 8, 2006 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

All your numerical values, except the mass seems rather suspicious. A ball with a diameter of 20 centimeters going 2.5 meters up in a pinball machine?
    [tex]P_{ela}=P_{grav}+K_{lin}+K_{rot}[/tex]
    the elastic potential energy is converted to gravitational potential energy and linear and rotational kinetic energy giving
    [tex]kx^2=2mgh+mv^2+I{\omega}^2[/tex]
    then use
    [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]
    to subs for [itex]v[/itex] and solve for [itex]\omega[/itex]

9. May 8, 2006 #8
    What is x?

10. May 9, 2006 #9

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The first equation in my post states that the stored elastic energy in the spring is converted into the gravitational potential energy of the ball, the linear kinetic energy of the ball and the rotational kinetic energy of the ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?