Solving Pinball Machine Spring Force Problem

In summary, the ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 120 N/m that is initially compressed by 5 cm. The surface on which the ball moves is inclined at 10° with respect to the horizontal. Neglecting friction and the mass of the plunger, the launching speed of a 0.1 kg ball can be found by equating the elastic potential energy to the sum of kinetic and gravitational potential energies. After correcting a calculator mistake, the resulting equation can be solved to find the launching speed.
wallercp

Homework Statement

The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring that has a force constant of 1.2 N/cm. The surface on which the ball moves is inclined at 10° with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 5 cm, find the launching speed of a .1 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

Homework Equations

Ue (Elastic potential) = (1/2)kx^2
K (Kinetic) = (1/2)mv^2
Ug (Gravitational potential) = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

k = 1.2 N/ cm = .012 N / m
x = 5 cm = .05 m
m = .1 kg
g = 9.8 m/s

Ue = K + Ug

.5kx^2 = .5mv^2 + mgh

.5(.012)(.05^2) = .5(.1)v^2 + .1(9.8)(.05sin(10°))

0.000015 = .05v^2 + .00851

At this point, my v^2 will equal a negative number, which makes no sense at all. I'm stuck >.<

The problem is that the left side of the equation gets exponentially smaller while the right hand side... doesn't.

Edit: Foolish calculator mistake. I hate how I find this out right after I posted it (I checked my work for 1/2 hr before posting).

1.2 N / cm = 120 N / m, not .012. I hit * instead of / on my calc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check your conversion from n/cm to n/m

I think it's just your conversion for the k value; you have to multiply
1.2N/cm*100cm/1m = 120N/m

my bad... didnt see that someone already replied.

1. What is the problem with the spring force in a pinball machine?

The problem with the spring force in a pinball machine is that it can become weak over time, causing the ball to not have enough force to properly hit the bumpers and targets. This can result in a less enjoyable and less challenging game.

2. How can I determine if the spring force in my pinball machine needs to be adjusted?

You can determine if the spring force in your pinball machine needs to be adjusted by observing the ball's movement during gameplay. If the ball seems to be moving slower or not hitting the targets with enough force, it may be a sign that the spring force needs to be adjusted.

3. Can I adjust the spring force on my own?

Yes, you can adjust the spring force on your own. However, it is important to note that this task requires some technical knowledge and may be best left to a professional. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is recommended to seek the help of a pinball machine repair technician.

4. What tools do I need to adjust the spring force?

The tools needed to adjust the spring force in a pinball machine may vary depending on the specific machine. Generally, you will need a screwdriver, pliers, and possibly a spring puller. It is always best to consult your pinball machine's manual for specific instructions and tools needed.

5. How often should the spring force be adjusted in a pinball machine?

The frequency of adjusting the spring force in a pinball machine can vary depending on usage and wear and tear. It is recommended to check the spring force periodically and adjust as needed. Some experts suggest doing this every 6-12 months, while others suggest every 2-3 years.