Width of Pinhole Camera Aperture for 12cm Spot Light

In summary, the conversation discusses a point source of light 2.0m away from a pinhole camera that creates a 12cm wide spot of light on a screen 1.0m deep inside the camera. The question is how wide the aperture of the camera is. The speaker sets up an equation using the magnification formula and realizes their mistake in the numerator, which should be 3 meters instead of 1 meter. They express frustration with getting similar problems wrong and ask for help.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A point source of light 2.0m away from the a pinhole camera creats a 12cm wide spot of light on the screen 1.0 deep inside the camera. How wide is the aperture of the camera.

I thought this was a magnification problem, so I set up the equation:

[tex] h_i = .12m, h_o = x, s_i = 1m, s_o = 2.0m[/tex]

[tex] \frac{h_i}{h_o} = \frac{s_i}{s_o}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{.12m}{x} = \frac{1m}{2m}[/tex]

[tex].24m = x [/tex] The answer is .08m. I'm getting many of these optics problems wrong and I don't know why. I need some help and several of the problems I have posted have gone without answers. I hope someone answers this one. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerator on the right side should be 3 meters. You're trying to set up a proportion but you're not equating the correct ratios.

Yes, I just realized this, that should be 3/2 not 1/2. Screwed up my similar triangles... Thank you so much..

1. What is the purpose of a pinhole camera?

A pinhole camera is a simple camera that uses a small, single aperture to capture an image. It is often used to demonstrate the basic principles of photography and can be an inexpensive way to create unique, artistic images.

2. How does the width of the pinhole aperture affect the image produced?

The width of the pinhole aperture directly affects the amount of light that enters the camera and ultimately the sharpness and clarity of the image. A smaller aperture creates a sharper image, while a larger aperture creates a blurred image with less detail.

3. What is the ideal width of a pinhole aperture for a 12cm spot light?

The ideal width of a pinhole aperture for a 12cm spot light depends on various factors such as the distance between the camera and the subject, the size of the camera, and the desired effect. Generally, a pinhole aperture between 0.3mm and 0.5mm is recommended for a 12cm spot light.

4. How can I determine the optimal width of a pinhole aperture for my pinhole camera?

The optimal width of a pinhole aperture for a pinhole camera can be determined through trial and error or by using a pinhole aperture calculator. This tool takes into account the distance between the camera and the subject, as well as the size of the camera, to calculate the ideal aperture size.

5. Can the width of the pinhole aperture be adjusted on a pinhole camera?

Yes, the width of the pinhole aperture can be adjusted on a pinhole camera by creating a new aperture or by using a camera with a variable aperture. It is important to note that changing the aperture size will also affect the exposure time and the resulting image.