Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pink Floyd is BRILLIANT!

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    I was listening again to some Pink Floyd songs and I just realized how amazingly brilliant they are! The band's covering Wish You Were Here to play at a church and while going through the lead, it seems so simple, but is absolutely brilliant!

There arent many bands that can come close! Any other bands/songs that you guys think compare? Astronuc and Turbo-1 introduced me to songs like Since Ive been loving you and Tea for one along with Fleetwood Mac, which I think are in the same category.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Here you go! This is one of my favorite live performances. If you like Marc Knopfler's guitar style, you might want to dig into some old JJ Cale stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Nov 24, 2008 #3

neu

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Welcome to 40 years ago. Complimentary LSD is on the snack table.

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful it can lead to the hard stuff. You do a little Pink Floyd and then your freinds get you to try some early Genesis and soon you are into Peter Gabriel.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have never liked Pink Floyd.

Seems I'm a minority.
    :uhh:

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it seems you're a girl :wink:

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

"We're so happy we can hardly count"
    "By the way, which one's pink?"

Priceless

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a "girl" and Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time.

11. Nov 24, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would you say you were typical?

12. Nov 24, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always thought I was. I am really surprised Evo doesn't like PF. I thought everyone loved PF. :confused:

To me, the holy trinity is The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. Those are the three I just can't live without.

13. Nov 24, 2008 #12
    Yes very typical, me and all my girlfriends love Pink Floyd. And as I recall from the live concerts that I went to, there were also lots of females.

14. Nov 24, 2008 #13

Evo

I don't hate them, I just never cared for them. I was more into Mothers of Invention and Country Joe and the Fish.

Funny, I guess I was into subversive, underground music, now that I think back on the underground bands I listened to back then.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  15. Nov 24, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

He might already be in more trouble than that. I turned him onto early Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green grew obsessed by guilt about all the money they were making (hence the Green Manilishi/demon song) and after he left the group, Jeremy Spencer walked off with a group of evangelical Christians while on tour, leaving the band in the lurch. He was making lots of money in a successful band, and he abandoned that job, along with his wife and child.

Peter Green had agreed to join the Apple label (prompting the Beatles to write "Here Comes the Sun King"), but his mental problems prevented that and he sold his cherished Les Paul to Gary Moore (of Thin Lizzy) for very little money. That was a VERY troubled group of fellows. Even young Danny Kirwan (the remaining original guitarist) broke down eventually.

16. Nov 24, 2008 #15
    I'm not a big PF fan either. I find their music rather boring. I know they were hot stuff 40 years ago but music has evolved a lot since then and they don't impress me in any way. And what is it about PF that makes them "brilliant"? Because they were the first band to mix wierd *** sounds into their music? Tool does that better than anyone these days.

17. Nov 24, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We should hang out, Hypatia. We can watch Star Trek TOS episodes and listen to Pink Floyd. :biggrin:

ooh, hey, I know - we can sync up "The Wizard of Oz" with Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to try that.

18. Nov 24, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm... I don't think I know any of their songs.

19. Nov 24, 2008 #18

Evo

:surprised

But you've heard of Frank Zappa, right? And his kids Dweezil and Moon Unit?

20. Nov 24, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It was positively clever the way they synchronized The Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz.

And then they just forgot they did?

21. Nov 24, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I loved PF the first time I heard them - when DSOTM was first released - and have ever since.

Tsu and I tried the Wizard of Oz bit, and it is pretty surprising. [start the music at the third roar of the MGM lion]

I have an acquaintance who plays in a major symphony orchestra. He was telling me that what follows PF is not LSD, as has been suggested, :rolleyes:, but the classics. PF is what motivated his love of music and eventually lead to his career. But he also says that once you've done Bach, you'll never go back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?