Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pink Floyd Trivia Quiz

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay folks, the rules first (and please read them)...

RULES :

1. No Googling - spoils the fun.

2. Each person gets to attempt only one question, so take your pick. At some point, I may (not likely) announce a free-for-all, whence all questions become open to everyone. The idea behind this rule is to broaden perticipation.

I really insist you read the rules....especially Rule #2

LET'S BEGIN :

Q1) Who maintained a scrapbook of music and lyrics, titled 'Roger's Songs' ?

Q2) Some of the proceeds from the Dark Side... album went towards helping finance which holy endeavour ?

Q3) MPs in the British Parliament are informed by a warning signal, about 8 minutes before a bill comes up for vote in the House. What is this signal called ?

Q4) Sound Engineer for the Dark Side... album, he was first noticed when he worked with the Beatles on their last album. He is now well-known through his subsequent project. Who ?

Q5) Which album is a tribute to Syd Barrett ?

Q6) In 197#, it caused confusion among pilots and Air Traffic Controllers at London's Heathrow Airport. It then headed out across the English Channel towards France, but a ballistics malfunction caused it to change direction and eventually make a landing near a farm in Kent. What is it ?
    (Hint : It's not the spacecraft that brought in baby Superman...that was in the US...and it was the Kent Farm...oh, and it's not real.)

Q7) Mother and Run Like Hell were among many in a list of songs that were recommended to be pulled from radio stations, following what event ?

Q8) Identify the voice in this piece <see attachment floyd.zip>.

Answers will follow, so don't scroll down until you're ready to...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gosh these are tough! I was hoping you'd ask something like "which one's pink?" :tongue2:

OK, I think there was a giant flying pig involved in this incident?

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right-ho !

Q6) The Giant Inflatable Pig (actually a sow, if you look carefully !) used for promoting the release of Animals slipped off its tether and floated away. A hole in one of the hooves caused it to turn back and eventually make the farm.

The idea of the pig was copyrighted by Waters, so when he left the band, they were not allowed to use it any longer. They got around that problem by giving it b@!!$ - the old sex-change switcheroo !! :biggrin:

One down...seven to go.

Did the .wav file work ?

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    Oops!
    Sorry..I just read the questions..and tried to answer without Go-Ogle!

Again my appologies.

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5
    Well, great soundbite!.. just heard it amazing, hope I aint bummed this thread, great idea, thanks.

7. Aug 30, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Olias, you are entitled to one guess - you didn't have to delete them all.

Go ahead and put one back on.

8. Aug 30, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Q5) Shine on you crazy Diamond

Eeh..that was just a song on..aargh I don't remember the album

WISH YOU WERE HERE!!(?)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  9. Aug 30, 2004 #8
    I did answer 4?

But here it is again

4)Alan Parsons

10. Aug 30, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, that's 2 more down...

Q5) This is Wish You Were Here. And, Shine on You Crazy Diamond is possibly a direct reference to SYD, sorta' like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was a reference to LSD.

Q4) Alan Parson is correct too. Of course, the Last Beatles album was Abbey Road - named after Abbey Road Studio, where Alan Parson was sound engg. Floyd recorded many of their albums at the same studio. In fact, sometimes, Floyd and the Beatles would be recording at the same time just down the hall from each other. Alan Parson later went on to create Alan Parson's Project with Eric Woolfson. Their collaboration lead to several hits, including Eye in the Sky, and Psychobabble.

11. Aug 30, 2004 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MIH, arildno and olias can now cool their heels until I announce a free-for-all.

Is there anybody else out there ?

12. Aug 30, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Q3) Must be the Division Bell! Only thing I can think of that's bell-related.

13. Aug 30, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice guess Moonbear ! :smile:

So 3, 4, 5 and 6 have been shot down.

Where's Kerrie, Tsu, Ivan, plover, Chroot, and the other music buffs ?

14. Aug 30, 2004 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, now that I've answered my question and am allowed to google again, I had to go find out about the division bell in Parliament. Interesting. (I take no responsibility for the political views of this site, it was just the first one I found on google that explained what a division bell is.)

http://www.johnheppell.labour.co.uk/viewpage.cfm?Page=3520

15. Aug 31, 2004 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Q2) The Crusades??
    (Or is this a bit anachronistic?)

16. Aug 31, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope that's a joke... :beer: :wink: "Bit" ? What would you call 7 centuries ?

Anyway's it's probably time to allow everyone to fire away.

It's free-for-all time. MIH, olias, arildno and Moonbear : you're back in. You may all take guesses at all the remaining questions. :rainbow:

17. Aug 31, 2004 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Q1) Since it would be too stupid to assume it's Roger Waters, I'll be altruistic enough to save everyone else from the massive embarassment by assuming it myself.

Q2) Condom production in Catholic countries??

18. Aug 31, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hard luck arildno...nice guess though on the second one ! However, it was your response to (Q1) that really got me. Wait....going back about a month :

And now this ??? Have you gotten religion ? Damn, it's gotta be all those lectures from Saint...

19. Aug 31, 2004 #18
    1)Syd Barrett
    2)Finance of Life of Brian
    3)Division Bell
    4)Alan Parsons
    5)Wish you were Here
    6)Inflatable Balloon(Pig)
    7)Chernobyl..?..Greenham common ' American Missile' instalation?
    8)Stephen Hawking

20. Aug 31, 2004 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Olias has (1) and (8), and is oh...so close on (2) <Olias, I think you had it before>.

1) Syd Barrett's given name is Roger Keith Barrett. Trick question - but no one (until the gallant knight, Sir Arildno came along) was ready to run into the sword !

8) Hawking, of course - how could I omit this on a Physics Forum ?! I hope the sound byte worked - I couldn't make it any longer because of attachment restrictions...what a bummer.

So Olias has exhausted all his guesses.

Only Q2 and Q7 remain....

21. Aug 31, 2004 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've always been an altruist,
    but my altruism has sensible and flexible boundaries..:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?