Is the W boson in this decay a vector boson based on parity nonconservation?

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a quark-flow diagram for the weak decay of \pi^{-}\rightarrow\mu^{-}+\overline{\nu_{\mu}} and showing that the intermediate vector boson is a spin one particle by considering parity nonconservation in the production of \mu^{-} and \overline{\nu_{\mu}} in the rest frame of the boson. The pion is at rest in the same frame as the W boson and only the second process is relevant for parity non-conservation. The connection between parity non-conservation and the spin of the W boson emitting the muon and antineutrino is still being discussed.
gildomar

Homework Statement

"(a) Draw a quark-flow diagram for the weak decay [itex]\pi^{-}\rightarrow\mu^{-}+\overline{\nu_{\mu}}[/itex] . Explicitly include the appropriate intermediate vector boson. (b) By considering the production of [itex]\mu^{-}[/itex] and [itex]\overline{\nu_{\mu}}[/itex] in the rest frame of the vector boson, show from the necessary parity nonconservation that the boson is indeed a vector type, that is, that it has spin one."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the intermediary step for the decay is the pion turning into a charged W boson, which in turn decays into the muon and antineutrino. I also don't have a problem drawing the reaction in terms of the quark content. The part that I'm unsure about is what, if any, role the pion has in the interaction in the W boson's rest frame. That is, I'm not whether to include it or not, since I know that W bosons prefer to decay to just leptons, but it seems wrong to leave it out. Whether or not to include obviously will also affect the parity nonconservation test. Though the wording for that part is a little strange, since it would seem to make more sense to just look at the spins to show that the spin of the W is 1 instead of checking parity.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pion is at rest in the same frame as the W boson. It "decays" to an off-shell W boson, and that "decays" to muon+neutrino. Only the second process should be relevant for parity non-conservation.

I was beginning to suspect that. Now I just need to figure out how the parity non-conservation leads to the W boson being spin 1 when it emits the muon and antineutrino. The closest that I got is that it has something to do with the muon and antineutrino being emitted directly opposite each other compared to the W boson so as to conserve momentum. Possibly something also about them having opposite angular momentum as well to conserve that too.

What is pion decay in W rest frame?

Pion decay in W rest frame refers to the process in which a pion particle, which is a type of meson, decays into other particles in the rest frame of a W boson. This process is governed by the weak nuclear force and is an important phenomenon studied in particle physics.

How does pion decay in W rest frame occur?

In order for pion decay to occur in the W rest frame, the pion must first interact with a W boson. This interaction can result in the creation of other particles, such as a muon and a neutrino, as well as the decay of the pion itself. The exact process and particles involved depend on the specific type of pion and W boson involved.

What is the significance of studying pion decay in W rest frame?

Studying pion decay in W rest frame allows scientists to better understand the fundamental properties of particles and the forces that govern their interactions. It also provides insights into the behavior of the weak nuclear force, which plays a crucial role in many other processes in the universe.

How is pion decay in W rest frame measured and observed?

Scientists use particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to create pions and W bosons and observe their interactions. By analyzing the particles produced in these collisions, researchers can measure the properties of pion decay in W rest frame and compare them to theoretical predictions.

What are the potential applications of understanding pion decay in W rest frame?

Understanding pion decay in W rest frame has implications in various fields, such as particle physics, cosmology, and medical imaging. It can also help scientists in the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators and detectors, that rely on our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions.