Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pion+/- decay - what *Exactly* is happening?

1. Aug 19, 2017 #41

ChrisVer

Gold Member

OK people, I will agree with you and say that the neutral pion is only the [itex]u\bar{u}-d\bar{d}[/itex] state... In that manner the decay [itex]\pi \rightarrow \pi^0 e \nu[/itex] can't happen since there is no meson with the [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex] (or [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex]) alone quark content...
    Also what's the meson that has the state: [itex] u\bar{d} \pm u\bar{s} \pm u \bar{b} \pm c \bar{s}\pm c \bar{d} \pm c \bar{b}[/itex] (that would come from the W hadronic decay addition of Feynman Diagrams)?

2. Aug 19, 2017 #42

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

3. Aug 19, 2017 #43

ChrisVer

Gold Member

because I couldn't produce a neutral pion according to the definition I am getting: I either end up with processes resulting to [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] or to [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex] (so projections of the neutral pion, as well as the sigma mesons)... I originally said that the decay was possible (like a semileptonic meson decay), since those were actually neutral pions but I was wrong.

4. Aug 19, 2017 #44

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

But it's not wrong, as you can see from the particle data booklet (the branching ratio is only about ##10^{-8}##, but it's a measured decay of the charged pions). I still don't understand, why you come to the conclusion that this decay cannot exist, only because the pion is the given superposition?

5. Aug 19, 2017 #45

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They have a neutral pion component.
    There is no such thing, and a W cannot decay to a single meson anyway.

We had a great question about partial widths a while ago, where you can see the effect of the superpositions of quark states directly in the branching fractions.

6. Aug 21, 2017 #46

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Because that decay ends up with [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] or [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex] and not in a superposition of the two... and that is not a neutral pion (as I was repeatedly told in this discussion)...
    On the other hand, if we are to "add" every possible outcome (and so say we can have both the [itex]u\bar{u}[/itex] and [itex]d\bar{d}[/itex] in a combination, al), then I would ask on this counter-example (a possible W decay to a meson):
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.3317.pdf (Fig2)
    [itex] D^0 \rightarrow \rho^+ \pi^-[/itex] : [itex] c \bar{u} \rightarrow W (d\bar{u}) \rightarrow (u \bar{d}) (d \bar{u})[/itex]
    my question would then be why do we get a [itex]\rho^+[/itex] (with the [itex]u\bar{d}[/itex] decay of a W ) and not a [itex] \alpha u\bar{d} + \beta u \bar{s} [/itex] (forgetting the bottoms due to energy). Instead we call the 1st a rho, and the second a possible Kaon (2 different outcomes)... Is it related to a flavour symmetry or something?

7. Aug 21, 2017 #47

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is self contradictory. If it can end up in uubar and ddbar, clearly it can end up in a linear combination of those states. It is a question of what the amplitude is.

What makes you think it doesn't decay to both linear combinations? The only difference is that the s quark is heavy enough for the mass eigenstates to be essentially equivalent to the flavour states, which does not happen in the pion system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted