Max Von Mises Stress Calculation for Pipe Bend

In summary, the max von Mises stress is around 4 bar internal pressure and depends on the loads and pipe orientation.
dfitz1000
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the max (von Mises) stress in a 90o pipe bend. Now I know (I think) how to do it for a straight pipe, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find this analysis for a pipe bend?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Given what loads?

minger said:
Given what loads?

The internal pressure is around 4 bar.

Have you taken a look for any analytical/empirical solutions such as in the Roark handbook for stress and strain?

I doubt there is a solution for your exact pipe bend, but I know there are solutions for simple shells of revolution under internal pressure. Perhaps you can adjust the solution for the bend.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for minger. Roark's handbook you say, do you know any other books with a similar analysis? Thanks for your help so far.

Don't forget that if your pipe fitting is under pressure, presumabably there is also fluid flowing. This exerts a thrust on the pipeline, which resists in bending, unless there is a suitably placed thrust block, in which case there is a direct force on the fitting.

Look in any standard hydraulics or fluids testbook for thrust block design.

Obviously it will make a difference whether the pipe is horizontal or vertical so the question 'what loads' remains open.

Well, it's just a theoretical question. I need to find the maximum theoretical stress in the 90o pipe bend under 4 bar internal pressure. It's a static analysis I'm doing so there's no need to consider thrust or anything like that. I do appreciate your reply though.

In my opinion, forces from the flow exerted on the pipes are too often ignored or not taught.

I have seen really serious consequences ensue as a result of inadequate thrust block provision.

I have also seen serious damage ensue from neglect of bouyancy, self weight or support forces in soft goround.

Studiot said:
In my opinion, forces from the flow exerted on the pipes are too often ignored or not taught.

I have seen really serious consequences ensue as a result of inadequate thrust block provision.

I have also seen serious damage ensue from neglect of bouyancy, self weight or support forces in soft goround.

I don't doubt what you're saying but I just need to calculate the max von Mises stress in the bend. Just assume there is no flow.

1. What is Pipe Bend Stress Analysis?

Pipe Bend Stress Analysis is the process of analyzing the stress and strain on a pipe bend due to external forces or internal pressure. This analysis is important in determining the safety and durability of the pipe bend in various applications.

2. Why is Pipe Bend Stress Analysis important?

Pipe Bend Stress Analysis is important because it helps ensure the structural integrity and safety of pipe bends in various industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and water treatment. It also helps in the design and optimization of pipe bends for better performance and longevity.

3. What are the factors that affect Pipe Bend Stress Analysis?

The factors that affect Pipe Bend Stress Analysis include the material properties of the pipe, the dimensions and geometry of the bend, the type and magnitude of external loads, and the internal pressure of the fluid flowing through the pipe.

4. What methods are commonly used for Pipe Bend Stress Analysis?

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a commonly used method for Pipe Bend Stress Analysis, as it allows for detailed analysis of stress and strain distribution along the pipe bend. Other methods include analytical solutions and experimental testing.

5. How can Pipe Bend Stress Analysis be used in pipe design?

Pipe Bend Stress Analysis can be used in pipe design to determine the appropriate material, dimensions, and reinforcement needed for a pipe bend to withstand the expected external loads and internal pressure. It can also be used in failure analysis to identify potential weak points in the design and make necessary modifications to improve the design's strength and durability.