Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Bend Stress Analysis

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to calculate the max (von Mises) stress in a 90o pipe bend. Now I know (I think) how to do it for a straight pipe, but can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find this analysis for a pipe bend?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Given what loads?

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    The internal pressure is around 4 bar.

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

Have you taken a look for any analytical/empirical solutions such as in the Roark handbook for stress and strain?

I doubt there is a solution for your exact pipe bend, but I know there are solutions for simple shells of revolution under internal pressure. Perhaps you can adjust the solution for the bend.

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5
    That's pretty much what I'm looking for minger. Roark's handbook you say, do you know any other books with a similar analysis? Thanks for your help so far.

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6
    Don't forget that if your pipe fitting is under pressure, presumabably there is also fluid flowing. This exerts a thrust on the pipeline, which resists in bending, unless there is a suitably placed thrust block, in which case there is a direct force on the fitting.

Look in any standard hydraulics or fluids testbook for thrust block design.

Obviously it will make a difference whether the pipe is horizontal or vertical so the question 'what loads' remains open.

8. Apr 13, 2010 #7
    Well, it's just a theoretical question. I need to find the maximum theoretical stress in the 90o pipe bend under 4 bar internal pressure. It's a static analysis I'm doing so there's no need to consider thrust or anything like that. I do appreciate your reply though.

9. Apr 14, 2010 #8
    In my opinion, forces from the flow exerted on the pipes are too often ignored or not taught.

I have seen really serious consequences ensue as a result of inadequate thrust block provision.

I have also seen serious damage ensue from neglect of bouyancy, self weight or support forces in soft goround.

10. Apr 14, 2010 #9
    I don't doubt what you're saying but I just need to calculate the max von Mises stress in the bend. Just assume there is no flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook