1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Discharge and Diameter

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An engineer is planning for a network of pipes to a residential tower containing 360 apartments each one of them consumes 0.05 liters/s of water what is the least possible pipe discharge for the main pipe in the network
    if the fastest speed of discharge in the pipe is 4m/s then what is the least diameter possible that doesn't cause leaking

2. Relevant equations
    J=Av=V/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I convert from liters to volume try to apply the law of course it doesn't work I have two variables
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pipe-discharge-and-diameter.860980/goto/post?id=5402647#post-5402647 [Broken]

my work:
    360*0.05*10^-3/s=A*4
    A=0.0045
    0.0045=(d/2)^2*pi
    d=0.07m. I think the 360 apartments are vital to solve this problem but I don't know where to use them
    the diameter is 0.2m How do I get this answer????

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

0.05 l is a shot glass. Is this per year ?

Could you list off the relevant equations a bit more completely ?

And show your work ?

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    o
    Oh sorry I just edited it its liters per second

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show your work ?
    And how do you find the 0.05 l/s ?

6. Mar 7, 2016 #5
    its given in the problem

my work:
    360*0.05*10^-3/s=A*4
    A=0.0045
    0.0045=(d/2)^2*pi
    d=0.07m. I think the 360 apartments are vital to solve this problem but I don't know where to use them

7. Mar 7, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

360 is the number of users; 4 is m/s I suppose. You get 7.6 cm diameter.

But don't most of these 360 users sleep around the same time and wake up around the same time and want to shower at approximately the same time ? Would they be happy with 3 liters/minute each ?

8. Mar 7, 2016 #7
    Well thats the question lol

9. Mar 7, 2016 #8
    So what is wrong about my method?

10. Mar 7, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No idea what's wrong. I calculate what you calculate, but it is highly unlikely that's really what is asked. I also don't understand the mentioning of leaking in the problem statement.
    Nor, in fact, the "least possible pipe discharge for the main pipe in the network" ? (even before the 4 m/s is provided).

Any clue in your notes/textbook ?

11. Mar 7, 2016 #10
    You can forget those details the diameter of the main pipe is what the question asks I know its confusing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted