Pipe Discharge and Diameter

In summary: I asked for help. In summary, an engineer is trying to find the least diameter pipe that doesn't cause leaking. If the fastest speed of discharge in the pipe is 4 m/s, the diameter of the pipe can't be less than 0.2m.
vinamas

Homework Statement

An engineer is planning for a network of pipes to a residential tower containing 360 apartments each one of them consumes 0.05 liters/s of water what is the least possible pipe discharge for the main pipe in the network
if the fastest speed of discharge in the pipe is 4m/s then what is the least diameter possible that doesn't cause leaking

Homework Equations

J=Av=V/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I convert from liters to volume try to apply the law of course it doesn't work I have two variables
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pipe-discharge-and-diameter.860980/goto/post?id=5402647#post-5402647 my work:
360*0.05*10^-3/s=A*4
A=0.0045
0.0045=(d/2)^2*pi
d=0.07m. I think the 360 apartments are vital to solve this problem but I don't know where to use them
the diameter is 0.2m How do I get this answer?[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.05 l is a shot glass. Is this per year ?

Could you list off the relevant equations a bit more completely ?

And show your work ?

o
BvU said:
0.05 l is a shot glass. Is this per year ?

Could you list off the relevant equations a bit more completely ?

And show your work ?
Oh sorry I just edited it its liters per second

Can you show your work ?
And how do you find the 0.05 l/s ?

BvU said:
Can you show your work ?
And how do you find the 0.05 l/s ?
its given in the problem

my work:
360*0.05*10^-3/s=A*4
A=0.0045
0.0045=(d/2)^2*pi
d=0.07m. I think the 360 apartments are vital to solve this problem but I don't know where to use them

360 is the number of users; 4 is m/s I suppose. You get 7.6 cm diameter.

But don't most of these 360 users sleep around the same time and wake up around the same time and want to shower at approximately the same time ? Would they be happy with 3 liters/minute each ?

BvU said:

But don't most of these 360 users sleep around the same time and wake up around the same time and want to shower at approximately the same time ? Would they be happy with 3 liters/minute each ?
Well that's the question lol

BvU said:

So what is wrong about my method?

No idea what's wrong. I calculate what you calculate, but it is highly unlikely that's really what is asked. I also don't understand the mentioning of leaking in the problem statement.
Nor, in fact, the "least possible pipe discharge for the main pipe in the network" ? (even before the 4 m/s is provided).

Any clue in your notes/textbook ?

BvU said:
No idea what's wrong. I calculate what you calculate, but it is highly unlikely that's really what is asked. I also don't understand the mentioning of leaking in the problem statement.
Nor, in fact, the "least possible pipe discharge for the main pipe in the network" ? (even before the 4 m/s is provided).

Any clue in your notes/textbook ?
You can forget those details the diameter of the main pipe is what the question asks I know its confusing

1. What is pipe discharge and diameter?

Pipe discharge refers to the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe in a certain amount of time, while pipe diameter refers to the size of the pipe opening through which the fluid flows.

2. How does pipe diameter affect the discharge rate?

The larger the pipe diameter, the higher the discharge rate. This is because a larger diameter allows for a greater volume of fluid to flow through the pipe at a given time.

3. What factors affect pipe discharge and diameter?

The factors that affect pipe discharge and diameter include the fluid's viscosity, pressure, and velocity, as well as the pipe material and any obstructions or bends in the pipe.

4. How is pipe diameter calculated?

Pipe diameter can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid's properties, the pipe's length and roughness, and the flow rate. It can also be calculated based on the desired flow rate and the fluid's properties.

5. Why is it important to consider pipe discharge and diameter in fluid systems?

Properly sizing pipes for a given fluid system is crucial for efficient and safe operation. If the pipe diameter is too small, it can cause high pressure and flow rates, leading to potential damage to the system. On the other hand, if the pipe diameter is too large, it can result in low flow rates and inefficient use of energy.