1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe in network

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why the Q1 for AB is 5 ? for Ac is -5 , while for CB is -2 ? how to determine them ?
    I could only see Qat A = 10.0 , Q at C = 3 , Q at B = 7
    P/ s: the author take clockiwse direction to be positive , anticlockwise direction to be negative ...
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2
    is the author wrong ?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    can someone show Q1 for AB is 5 ? for Ac is -5 , while for CB is -2 ?

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4
    anybody can try to answer this ? i have been waiting for the explaination too long .

6. Apr 11, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a problem when you reply to your own post that other readers think you've had a reply unless they follow the link to the thread.
    It's only a trial solution. Any values could have been used that add up correctly.

7. Apr 11, 2016 #6
    what do you mean by trial solution ? i'm confused.... how did the author get the Q= 5, -5 , and -2 based on 10 , 3 and 7 ?

8. Apr 11, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I mean it is just an initial guess, consistent with the 10, 3 and 7. The method goes through an iteration to get closer to the actual solution. As an exercise, you could start with 6, -4 and -1 instead and check that you end up with the same final answer.

9. Apr 11, 2016 #8
    is there any rule to choose the 3 numbers for initial guess? e.g , if i choose the first number is 15 , will it affect the second and third number that i am choosing ? or it is just guessing ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted