1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe pressure drop calculation

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    I am calculating various pressure drops in a pipe and am and am having trouble calculating the pressure at a certain point, for a set case. This is the pipe...

http://i50.tinypic.com/141mikg.jpg

A and B are vents, through which air passes and travels on up the pipe, where is it discharged to atmosphere. I am working out the pressure at points a and b for three cases.

1) both vents open and pumping air
    2) vent A open, vent B closed
    3) vent A closed, vent B open

I have worked everything out no bother for cases 1 and 2 but 3 is stumping me. My engineering brain knows that there should be a vacuum effect at a, because of the flow through b onwards, but I can't work out how to do the calculation. So far, setting the flow rate at a to zero just makes the frictional losses zero at this point, and leaving it at the same pressure as at b ... which isn't right!

I have accounted for losses due to the fittings (inlets) in my calculation.

I would like to know a method to calculate pressure at a when vent A is closed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?