1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Schedule

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am hoping that someone could enlighten me about pipe schedules.

I've searched online but there have been conflicting definitions for schedules, where some people refer to it as pressure and some referring to it as thickness.

I need a pipe to be able to withstand 70bar of pressure, which schedule should I use?

and what units are the schedules?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry to say, there is no correlation between pipe schedule and anything such as pressure or wall thickness. Looking at the history, it appears the pipe schedule wall thicknesses were simply selected on historical values and nothing more.
    If you want to select a pipe for an application it requires using the applicable piping code. In the US, it will be one of the ASME B31.x piping codes. (ex: ASME B31.3 for Process Piping)

The codes have specific equations to use, generally more than 1. They also contain a section on materials which provides "stress allowables" for each type of material used. That stress allowable is a function not just of the chemistry and strength of the pipe but also on the operating temperature. In addition, things such as corrosion and externally applied stresses need to be taken into consideration.

Even if this is for a college project, if this is actually to be built you really should ensure your design meets the applicable piping codes for your country.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook