Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipeline support design

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

There is a 600 foot long asphalt pipeline that spans over a very large field. This specific pipeline is 10 inches in diameter and has a 3in diameter pipe attached to it. In addition, this pipeline as a whole is wrapped in 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. I need to figure out an efficient way to support this pipeline. It is reccomended that the pipleline be sitting 2 feet above ground. Material of this pipeline is schedule 40 - Carbon steel. If anyone can help with this process it would be much appreciated. Implementation of guides, shoes, and/or stops is required. I am essentially trying to figure out what type of I beam to use and at what span. Any other advice is more than welcomed.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to what you have to say.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2
    The best thing to do would be to perform a pipe stress analysis. There are commercial packages available like Caesar for this but they are expensive. You consider pipe weight, wind, nozzle loads, displacements, and so on.

You can do some stuff by hand. See "Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations" by Hicks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook