Piping Heat Loss: Solving for Internal Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the internal temperature of tracing lines using a heat tracing program. The speaker encountered discrepancies in their calculations due to unit conversions and questioned whether the squared conversion from feet to meters was correct. Further discussion with process engineers clarified that the correct unit for the formula was m^2, resolving the issue.
cpscdave
So I'm trying to figure out where a heat tracing program is getting some numbers.

What I'm trying to figure out is how the program calculates the internal temperature of the tracing lines.

What I know is the k value of the insulation 0.0215 watts per metre*degree
I know the temperature that the program says the cable will be at, and how much heat the cables are providing in watts/ft

using the pipe heat loss formula [tex]Q = 2*\pi*k*(t_o - t_i)/ln(r_o/r_i)[/tex] and solving for [tex]t_o[/tex] I got an answer that was wrong. I had converted watts/ft into watts/meter by multiplying by 3.2 (as there are 3.2 feet per meter)
As the numbers didn't work out I ran the same formula instead converting k into watt per foot. This is where things got odd, I found that again I got the wrong answer but the ratio of how much the answers were off were different. Same formula same number but different units should produce the same relative error.

Figuring it had to be a unit conversion error, I found that if I instead multiplied watts/ft by 3.2*3.2 (and similar conversion for changing k to be w/ft) not only did the 2 answer agree but I got the correct [tex]t_i[/tex]

So my question is: While it makes sense to me that the foot to meter conversion should be squared as we are looking at an area not a linear distance, the formula doesn't seem to support those units. So is the squared conversion correct? or has this just been an odd coincidence :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Talking with some of the process engineers I gather that Q is actually m^2 which explains everything :)

1. What is piping heat loss and why is it important to solve for internal temperature?

Piping heat loss refers to the amount of heat that is lost from a piping system due to the temperature difference between the internal fluid and the external environment. It is important to solve for internal temperature in order to maintain the desired temperature of the fluid being transported through the pipes, as well as to reduce energy costs and prevent damage to the pipes.

2. How is piping heat loss calculated?

Piping heat loss can be calculated using the following formula: Q = U x A x (T1 – T2), where Q is the heat loss in watts, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of the pipe, T1 is the temperature of the fluid inside the pipe, and T2 is the temperature of the external environment.

3. What factors affect piping heat loss?

The amount of heat loss from a piping system can be affected by several factors, including the type of insulation used, the thickness of the insulation, the temperature difference between the fluid and the environment, the length and diameter of the pipe, and the type of fluid being transported.

4. How can piping heat loss be minimized?

Piping heat loss can be minimized by using proper insulation, such as foam or fiberglass, to reduce heat transfer between the pipe and the environment. Additionally, using heat tracing systems, which involve wrapping the pipes with electric heating cables, can help maintain the desired temperature of the fluid and prevent heat loss.

5. How can I solve for internal temperature in a piping system?

To solve for internal temperature in a piping system, you can use the previously mentioned formula (Q = U x A x (T1 – T2)) and rearrange it to solve for T1, the temperature of the fluid inside the pipe. You will need to know the values for Q, U, A, and T2 in order to calculate T1. Alternatively, there are online calculators and software programs available that can help you solve for internal temperature.