Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pircing and stuck

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    What animals can naturally expel small nonselfs which penetrated into their flesh and were stuck right there from their bodies? I wish to mutate to be so, who can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that no one can help you mutate.
    It sounds to me as if you're talking about a porcupine.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Why is porcupine? You mean barbs of its quills could be stuck into flesh of other animals? But who can clean the penetrated barbs out of its body naturally by metabolizing?

5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I vaguely recall that there is at least one species of predator that is basically immune to the quills, but I don't know what it is. Googling 'porcupine' will probably yield the answers after a bit of digging.
    If you or a pet should find yourself on the receiving end of the quills, do not try to yard them out. They're hollow and filled with air. Cut them off an inch or two away from the skin to deflate them and then carefully wiggle the barbed end out. If left in, they cause a nasty infection.
    Remember, as well, that porcupines can not 'shoot' their quills. You have to come into physical contact with the animal.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?