Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pirelli relativity award

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was wondering what folks here thought of the Pirelli relativity award (still open).

http://www.pirelliaward.com/einstein.html

It seems to me that it's a good idea, though I'm a bit skeptical at how much multimedia is going to aid the explanation of relativity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The deadline for submissions (9/15/05) has passed. However, the judging hasn't come up with a winner yet.
    I think a good multimedia presentation can help teach relativity.
    I entered something for it.

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd be very interested in seeing the full version of the winner and/or runners up if they get released in English. As-is, seeing a few slides from a presentation in another language isn't doing that much for me. It does seems to me, though, that cartoon format has won, meaning that the visuals are what I'd call eye-candy.

7. Dec 6, 2005 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The webcast does show the full version of the winning entry in English, I believe... unfortunately, not in its native media format. The entry by Robert Ehrlich was nicely done... emphasizing some good relativistic pedagogy for beginners. See the blog entry for their links, other finalists and some attempts.

8. Dec 8, 2005 #7
    Will they publish the submitted visuals as a calendar? :smile:

9. Dec 13, 2005 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  10. Dec 14, 2005 #9

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I took a look at the main prize winner today. I was reasonably impressed, though unfortunately I see a large potential for some confusion on the issues of "seen" clock rates (doppler shifts) vs computed clock rates (time dilation) :-(.

I thought the quiz feature was a nice tough, introducing some interactivity, and helping to make sure that the reader understood what was being said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?