Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pisces or Aries ?

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    The MSN horoscope states the dates of Pisces and Aries as:
    Aries
    March 20 - April 18

A number of different and unexpected possibilities might have you a bit confused about which way you want to go regarding both your professional and personal goals, dear Aries. At some point you may face a choice of some kind, but right now you aren't really all that sure about the direction you want to take. Don't rush it. It isn't necessary to do it all today. Wait a few days, consider your options, and then make your decision.

Pisces
    February 18 - March 19

The attitudes of others towards you, particularly close friends, may seem to be changing, and you aren't likely to be sure about what this means. The fact is, dear Pisces, you are changing, and some of your friends may like what you're becoming, and others might feel less comfortable. You can't stop what's happening - and in the long run it's going to be a very positive process. It just may be difficult now. Bear with both your friends and yourself.

So far as I know, my birthday 20thMarch belongs to pisces, how come it is Aries this year ? Is it due to leap year ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2
    Wow, that is weird. Sounds fishy to me. lol get it? fishy? pisces? sigh nevermind
    Speaking of leap year my grandpa was born Feb 29, 1896. There was no leap year in the year 1900 so he was 8 on his first birthday. If he wouldn't have died we would have both had our 23rd birthday in the same month. Makes me wish I hadn't killed him.

4. Mar 29, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

ahh tribdog, you'll be the death of me....you are joking, right? :eek:

5. Mar 29, 2004 #4
    leap year yes but it allso depends on what time of day and time zone you were born in
    and the year you were born in too

6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    of course I'm joking. I'm glad I killed him.
    whoops there I go again. okay I didn't kill my grandpa. the leap year stuff is true though.

7. Mar 29, 2004 #6
    All the time I'm Pisces.
    I like the two fish.

8. Mar 29, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

I am a pisces also!!

9. Mar 29, 2004 #8
    Wow, what a coincidence. Not only are both of pisces, guess what? I'm aquarius. Small world huh?

10. Mar 29, 2004 #9

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Still causing trouble I see. As a Pisces without cusp bipolar tendencies, I can say with complete confidence you are experiencing astrological bifarcations.

11. Mar 30, 2004 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

saint, i love questions such as these! astrology is an avid hobby of mine...the "sun" enters each sun sign differently each year, so your sign truly depends on the year you were born...

i suggest you try astro.com and that will tell you exactly your sign for free...

12. Mar 30, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still find it strange that a science minded person would believe this stuff.. you really believe it?

13. Mar 30, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

Monique is no fun ;)

14. Mar 30, 2004 #13
    It's an avid hobby of mine as well..
    It's not really about believing it or not. I've applied to my life and compared it to what I know of friends and family and it just works. I don't know how or why exactly but it's a very useful tool for understanding myself and others.

The trick is looking at the full picture (the whole natal chart) as opposed to just Sun sign astrology.

15. Mar 30, 2004 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

monique, astrology is not the horoscope you read in the paper, or the 900 numbers you call...astrology actually uses a lot of geometry, astronomy, human psychology, and time to learn how it all ties together...the true art of astrology has the theory that the universe and all of life are in sync, and the aspects of the planets tend to reflect what is going on with humanity in general...sort of like how the moon affects the tides :wink:

i have studied for 13 years now using a person's natal chart-basically the blueprint of where the aspects were the moment a person is able to breathe on his or her own and is no longer dependent on their mother...it takes years to understand and learn, and many do not have this patience, and along with the huge amount of frauds, it has given astrology a bad name...

here's a little experiment for those of you unfamiliar with astrology...beginning april 6th, mercury goes into retrograde - a regular event that happens around 3 times a year...this is a true fact that when you track mercury for the following 3 weeks approx, it will look like it is going backwards, but it is just an optical illusion...now, during this time up until april 30, take note of how many fouled up things happen, such as networks being down, mail arriving late, your internet not functioning (as examples)...mercury in retrograde tends to reflect (NOT PREDICT) small events that have to do with communication, foul ups essentially...traditionally, this time is not good for weddings, signing contracts or making large purchases as they will become "undone" so to speak...

i think astrology should be studied more by science, but i don't believe it has been given the chance it should...i would not have wasted 13 years of my time on the subject if i didn't feel there was some kind of truth to it :smile:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  16. Mar 30, 2004 #15
    I'm reminded of the college professor, I don't have the details so don't ask, who passed out hororscopes to his class. After they had a chance to review their horoscopes the professor asked them if they felt they were accurate and something like 90 or 95% agreed they were accurate. The professor then told them to pass the horoscope to the person behind them, because that's who's horoscope they had actually been viewing.

17. Mar 30, 2004 #16
    That's a perfect example of a narrow segment-'sun sign' astrology- being used to discredit through extreme over-simplication a very broad and intensively detailed topic.

18. Mar 30, 2004 #17

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the college professor proved that typical horoscopes for only 12 personality types was incorrect...natal astrology takes in the signs for all of the planets, the moon, and the infinite aspects formed between all of them to the earth...again, another example of what the masses thinks astrology is, but is unaware of how it truly works.

19. Mar 30, 2004 #18
    Could we get a little crash course in how it works?

I've never put much faith in it because I've never seen a mechanism to actually describe how it works.

cookiemonster

20. Mar 30, 2004 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The existence, and difference of personality, of (identical) twins disproves the principle to me.

21. Mar 31, 2004 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

yes, but their personalities are quite similar comparatively speaking...their experiences are what helps form their differences...everyone has a choice in who they are and what they become, astrology does not claim that someone will be certain ways, but it does point to common tendencies in individuals with certain strong aspects...

the best form of proof is to have your chart professionally done instead of reading about it...having your chart done is first hand experience with astrology instead of about it...but because there is usually a fee involved, most will snub this and continue to believe what they choose...

there used to be a thread of astrology in the skeptic/debunk forum about a year ago...i got into it with chroot :) i am unable to find it, as it seems that the older threads have been deleted as far as a crash course goes...feel free to ask me questions, i am sure i can answer them or find an answer...(sorry, i have gone over this topic so many times here, that i get exhausted repeating myself :eek: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?