Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pistachio Recall

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh good grief. I love pistachios.

FDA says to avoid pistachios amid salmonella scare

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_re_us/salmonella_pistachios [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fixed the typo for you!

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

Evo

:rofl:

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    Oh salmonella schmella. (pops a nut into her mouth...)

(I've been eating this bag for 2 or 3 weeks now, so I am pretty sure it is safe! Well, at least I HOPE so....:eek:)

I hope all these darned recalls make food processors sit up and take notice. I used to buy my pistachios at Costco, until one bag smelled strongly of rat urine. So I bought another bag, STUNK again. Tossed both bags and started buying nuts elsewhere. Now Costco is selling Everybody's Nuts Salt & Pepper, and it is my new fav. As long as they are salmonella free....

If roasted nuts are contaminated, it is AFTER roasting that the contamination is happening. Where ever Costco got their brand roasted obviously had a rat problem a few years ago. ANY PLACE that makes food needs to have HIGH QC standards. Enough of this "what they don't know, won't hurt them" attitude.

Makes me want to dig up my entire yard and make it all a vegetable garden. :grumpy:

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I can't believe it. Just yesterday I had a peice of leftover office lemon-pistachio pie - the first pistachios I've eaten in recent memory.

Now I'm going to die.

7. Mar 31, 2009 #6

Evo

Funny how that happens.

Bye Dave. :cry:

8. Mar 31, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

And you had this reference smell available in your memories because ...?

9. Mar 31, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Nuts!!!

Anyway, Evo [nag mode], there is no way that you should be eating salted pistachios. Part of developing high BP AND potassium deficiency involves over-eating table salt. And as you know, it's not just the potassium deficiency in absolute terms, but the relative abundances of potassium and sodium in your system that can cause illness or injury. Please cut back on sodium until you get the electrolytes squared away. [/nag mode] BTW that bucket of crispy KFC used up all your salt allowance for this week and next.

10. Mar 31, 2009 #9

Evo

I read recently that salt doesn't have that much effect on BP. It's only if you tend to retain water that cutting back on salt is beneficial. My doctor has not suggested that I cut back on salt.

11. Mar 31, 2009 #10
    I used to know a guy named Sal Monella. He contaminated my life for a short time. He used to go out on the rooftop, with a bag of pistachios and throw the shells over the edge. I was walking along the boulevard below when some of these landed on me. I yelled up to him "N.B. I am not entirely satisfied with your behavior.", and I meant it to sting. He said "Like what e.g?" I replied "I don't like the way you drop things, viz. pistachio shells." He went on "What do you, i.e. the insect that you are, care what I do?" "I care when you infest my hair, q.v., with shells." I said. "cf. my collar." I added. I don't know what became of him, but I heard a rumor that he works for the FDA now.

12. Mar 31, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

TownSelectman: "Where's your sister, Hiram? She NEVER misses a town meeting!"
    Hiram: "She's home in bed with athritis."
    Town Selectman: "Darn! I grew up with them Itis boys, and that Arthur was the worst of 'em!"

<rim-shot>

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  13. Mar 31, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A friend of mine had a pair of turtles named Sam & Ella.

14. Mar 31, 2009 #13
    :rofl:

15. Mar 31, 2009 #14
    My husband decided to get pistachio ice cream when we all took a walk after dinner to the ice-cream shop (and yes... we do live too near the shop to really even try to claim the walk mitigates the ice cream). Then we get home and he turns on the news just in time for us to hear this...

Thanks goodness most of these scares are just that... scares. (No offense of course to Evo... who might have had some bad luck with the peanut scare!)

16. Mar 31, 2009 #15

Borek

Don't you know? Badluck is her maiden name.

17. Mar 31, 2009 #16

wolram

Gold Member

The best thing to do with your nut is spice them up.
    1 600 grm bag peanuts
    2 Heaped Tsps hot chili powder
    1 tsp hot curry powder
    1 tsp ginger powder

Add the spices to the peanuts in the bag and shake well, enjoy.

18. Mar 31, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You're crazy if you think I'm going to dust my nuts in chili powder.

19. Mar 31, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

You might save on heating oil....

20. Mar 31, 2009 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Walnuts are better sprinkled with brown sugar and roasted :smile:

21. Mar 31, 2009 #20

Evo

I dip my pecans in honey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook