Pistachio Recall: FDA Warns to Stop Eating Them

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the Federal food safety officials warned that consumers should stop eating all foods containing pistachios while they figure out the source of a possible salmonella contamination.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Oh good grief. I love pistachios.

FDA says to avoid pistachios amid salmonella scare

FRESNO, Calif. – Federal food safety officials warned Monday that consumers should stop eating all foods containing pistachios while they figure out the source of a possible salmonella contamination.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_re_us/salmonella_pistachios

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FRESNO, Calif. – Federal food safety officials warned Monday that consumers should stop eating all foods
Fixed the typo for you!

mgb_phys said:
Fixed the typo for you!
:rofl:

Oh salmonella schmella. (pops a nut into her mouth...)

(I've been eating this bag for 2 or 3 weeks now, so I am pretty sure it is safe! Well, at least I HOPE so...:eek:)

I hope all these darned recalls make food processors sit up and take notice. I used to buy my pistachios at Costco, until one bag smelled strongly of rat urine. So I bought another bag, STUNK again. Tossed both bags and started buying nuts elsewhere. Now Costco is selling Everybody's Nuts Salt & Pepper, and it is my new fav. As long as they are salmonella free...

If roasted nuts are contaminated, it is AFTER roasting that the contamination is happening. Where ever Costco got their brand roasted obviously had a rat problem a few years ago. ANY PLACE that makes food needs to have HIGH QC standards. Enough of this "what they don't know, won't hurt them" attitude.

Makes me want to dig up my entire yard and make it all a vegetable garden. :grumpy:

I can't believe it. Just yesterday I had a piece of leftover office lemon-pistachio pie - the first pistachios I've eaten in recent memory.

Now I'm going to die.

DaveC426913 said:
I can't believe it. Just yesterday I had a piece of leftover office lemon-pistachio pie - the first pistachios I've eaten in recent memory.

Now I'm going to die.
Funny how that happens.

Bye Dave. :cry:

Ms Music said:
until one bag smelled strongly of rat urine.

And you had this reference smell available in your memories because ...?

Nuts!

Anyway, Evo [nag mode], there is no way that you should be eating salted pistachios. Part of developing high BP AND potassium deficiency involves over-eating table salt. And as you know, it's not just the potassium deficiency in absolute terms, but the relative abundances of potassium and sodium in your system that can cause illness or injury. Please cut back on sodium until you get the electrolytes squared away. [/nag mode] BTW that bucket of crispy KFC used up all your salt allowance for this week and next.

I read recently that salt doesn't have that much effect on BP. It's only if you tend to retain water that cutting back on salt is beneficial. My doctor has not suggested that I cut back on salt.

I used to know a guy named Sal Monella. He contaminated my life for a short time. He used to go out on the rooftop, with a bag of pistachios and throw the shells over the edge. I was walking along the boulevard below when some of these landed on me. I yelled up to him "N.B. I am not entirely satisfied with your behavior.", and I meant it to sting. He said "Like what e.g?" I replied "I don't like the way you drop things, viz. pistachio shells." He went on "What do you, i.e. the insect that you are, care what I do?" "I care when you infest my hair, q.v., with shells." I said. "cf. my collar." I added. I don't know what became of him, but I heard a rumor that he works for the FDA now.

TownSelectman: "Where's your sister, Hiram? She NEVER misses a town meeting!"
Hiram: "She's home in bed with athritis."
Town Selectman: "Darn! I grew up with them Itis boys, and that Arthur was the worst of 'em!"
<rim-shot>

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
I used to know a guy named Sal Monella.
A friend of mine had a pair of turtles named Sam & Ella.

Evo said:
Funny how that happens.

Bye Dave. :cry:

:rofl:

My husband decided to get pistachio ice cream when we all took a walk after dinner to the ice-cream shop (and yes... we do live too near the shop to really even try to claim the walk mitigates the ice cream). Then we get home and he turns on the news just in time for us to hear this...

Thanks goodness most of these scares are just that... scares. (No offense of course to Evo... who might have had some bad luck with the peanut scare!)

physics girl phd said:
No offense of course to Evo... who might have had some bad luck

Don't you know? Badluck is her maiden name.

The best thing to do with your nut is spice them up.
1 600 grm bag peanuts
2 Heaped Tsps hot chili powder
1 tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp ginger powder

Add the spices to the peanuts in the bag and shake well, enjoy.

You're crazy if you think I'm going to dust my nuts in chili powder.

DaveC426913 said:
You might save on heating oil...

DaveC426913 said:

Walnuts are better sprinkled with brown sugar and roasted :smile:

I dip my pecans in honey.

Evo said:
I dip my pecans in honey.

When ever they touch your lips.

Safeway had pistachios on sale this week for $4.99/lb (half price). We two consumed our pound in the last four days, with no ill effects except for suspicion of the "prescient" grocery.

I went into Kroger yesterday, after already hearing about the recall, and they had a big display of pistachios on sale. Today's news specified Kroger was one of the stores recalling them. Makes me question that store's care in removing recalled foods in a timely manner. They had bad luck this week. Their store brand of mayonnaise was recalled today too. Unrelated production facilities, but maybe they should be more careful about who they have producing their store brand foods.

But, I LOVE pistachios, so I might take my chances anyway.

Moonbear said:
I went into Kroger yesterday, after already hearing about the recall, and they had a big display of pistachios on sale. Today's news specified Kroger was one of the stores recalling them. Makes me question that store's care in removing recalled foods in a timely manner. They had bad luck this week. Their store brand of mayonnaise was recalled today too. Unrelated production facilities, but maybe they should be more careful about who they have producing their store brand foods.

But, I LOVE pistachios, so I might take my chances anyway.
Does Kroger's have store-brand bread? You could have pistachios on rye with mayonnaise... Yummo! (for Evo, or EVOO, as RR puts it!)

turbo-1 said:
Does Kroger's have store-brand bread? You could have pistachios on rye with mayonnaise... Yummo! (for Evo, or EVOO, as RR puts it!)

Was rye recalled too? I hadn't heard that one. Yes, they do have store brand bread as well. Good thing I'm working my way to the bottom of my freezer in preparation for moving, so don't need to worry much about anything being sold in the stores right now other than milk.

Moonbear said:
Was rye recalled too? I hadn't heard that one. Yes, they do have store brand bread as well. Good thing I'm working my way to the bottom of my freezer in preparation for moving, so don't need to worry much about anything being sold in the stores right now other than milk.

Where are you moving to, Moonie?

lisab said:
Where are you moving to, Moonie?

A real house with a big yard, trees, and no neighbors sharing walls. :biggrin: I even have a mouse colony in the garage for Ember. :uhh: (Shhhh...don't tell Ember she's not allowed to keep them. They need to be exterminated before I close, so I suppose there's still a chance I won't be moving.)

No, Moonie, there has been no large-scale recall on rye bread. I was just trying to think of a way to manage to squeeze pistachio nuts and mayonnaise into a single snack. (Except for hot-dogs, I tend to start all my sandwiches on seeded Jewish rye or pumpernickel.)

turbo-1 said:
Jewish rye or pumpernickel.)
:yuck:

turbo-1 said:
No, Moonie, there has been no large-scale recall on rye bread. I was just trying to think of a way to manage to squeeze pistachio nuts and mayonnaise into a single snack. (Except for hot-dogs, I tend to start all my sandwiches on seeded Jewish rye or pumpernickel.)

Oh, okay. You had me worried I'd missed one.

Calif. nut plant: Kraft found salmonella in 2008
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/ap_on_re_us/salmonella_pistachios

FRESNO, Calif. – A company at the heart of a nationwide pistachio recall said Friday that Kraft Foods Inc. detected salmonella in its pistachios more than six months ago but didn't report the finding until last week.

Lee Cohen, a New York plant production manager for Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc., said Kraft told them on March 24 that the tainted nuts were found in a mixed snack blend that also contained salmonella-tainted cherries.

Kraft spokeswoman Susan Davison said manufacturer Georgia Nut Co. first found the bacteria in its Kraft Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix in September 2008, but it took more than six months of testing to determine what caused the contamination.

. . . .
Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the reason for the pistachio recall?

The FDA has issued a recall on pistachios due to potential contamination with Salmonella, a type of bacteria that can cause foodborne illness.

2. How did the contamination occur?

The contamination is believed to have occurred during the processing and packaging of the pistachios. The FDA is currently investigating the source of the contamination.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with consuming contaminated pistachios?

Consuming pistachios contaminated with Salmonella can lead to symptoms such as fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In some cases, the infection can be severe and require hospitalization.

4. How can I tell if the pistachios I have purchased are part of the recall?

The FDA has provided a list of specific brands and products that are included in the recall. Consumers are advised to check the packaging for any of the listed products and to not consume them if found.

5. What should I do if I have already eaten recalled pistachios?

If you have consumed recalled pistachios and are experiencing symptoms of foodborne illness, it is important to seek medical attention. Additionally, you should dispose of any remaining pistachios and thoroughly clean any surfaces that may have come in contact with them.