Pistol Firing Spring: Designing a Starter Pistol

• Thread starter recreated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, when designing a starter pistol or training pistol, it is important to choose a coiled compression spring that is the right size and strength to provide the necessary force to the hammer when fired.
recreated
In the middle of designing a 'Starter Pistol/Game bird, dog training pistol'.

I am using the basic design of how a revolver works as the actual firing/reloading mechanism as shown here 'http://science.howstuffworks.com/revolver2.htm'.

Notice how long the spring is which is used to give a sudden jolt of energy to the hammer and hence smack the blank ammunition's casing and cause the reaction.
My design does not have enough space to house such a large spring. Is it actually necessary to use such a large one or would a short and stronger one be just as good? I understand it would be harder to compress but my design is something you squeeze in your hands so I think it would be easy to transfer the extra force needed.

My attempt? I believe a small spring with the right stiffness would go unnoticed to the hammer which is being suddenly pushed forward by it, I can not back this up with any science.

Also is there a particular name for this compressive spring? Would help a lot to know that I'm sure.

Thank you,
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The type of spring you are likely looking for is a coiled compression spring. This type of spring is designed to be compressed and will provide the necessary energy to force the hammer forward when fired. They come in various sizes and strengths, so you can choose one that fits your design specifications. It's important to note that selecting the right spring is critical in order to ensure that the pistol works safely and reliably.

1. What is the purpose of a pistol firing spring?

The pistol firing spring is a vital component of a starter pistol, as it is responsible for creating the necessary force to fire the blank rounds. Without the spring, the pistol would not function properly and may not be able to fire at all.

2. How is a pistol firing spring designed?

A pistol firing spring is typically designed using a combination of mathematical calculations and engineering principles. Factors such as the desired force, length, and material properties are taken into account to create a spring that will meet the specific requirements of the starter pistol.

3. What materials are commonly used to make pistol firing springs?

The most commonly used materials for pistol firing springs are high-carbon steel and stainless steel. These materials are known for their durability and ability to withstand repeated use without losing their shape or strength.

4. How does the design of a pistol firing spring affect the performance of the starter pistol?

The design of the pistol firing spring has a significant impact on the performance of the starter pistol. A well-designed spring will provide the necessary force to fire the blank rounds consistently and reliably. Additionally, the design can also affect factors such as the recoil and accuracy of the pistol.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing a pistol firing spring?

Yes, safety is a critical factor to consider when designing a pistol firing spring. The spring must be designed to withstand the force of firing without breaking or malfunctioning, as this could cause harm to the user or those nearby. Additionally, the spring must be properly installed and maintained to ensure safe and proper functioning of the starter pistol.