Solving Piston & Spring Homework Problem - Work, Temp & Heat Input

In summary, you solved the problem by using the specific volume of the superhated steam at the final state and interpolating to find the final temperature.
Carlo09

Homework Statement

Ok the problem I have been set has a frictionless piston containing steam at 200kpa at 200 degrees c and it is originally at 0.5m^3. It has a linear spring above it just touching and exerting no force. Heat is added and the gas expands pushing the cylinder up and causing the spring to exert a force that seeing as it is linear is proportional to the distance it is pushed up. Finally it stops at 0.6m^3, 500kpa and I have to work out work, temp and heat input.

Homework Equations

Ok so its neither isobaric, isochoric or isothermal and we have not been told that it's ideal so I am assuming you could use that. (However just using ideal gas law to find temp yields wrong answer) Also I know W=P dv but that again gives the wrong answer as P is not constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find work i plotted it on a P-v diagram and found the area: [(200kpa+500Kpa)/2]*(0.6-0.5) = 35Kj which i know is the correct answer.

I have tried using ideal gas law at both pressures to find T but it's wrong, actual answer is 1132 degrees c. Also I tried saying Qin = Wout + delta U and then reading U from the steam tables and rearranging to find Qin and therefore final temp maybe but it also didnt work. Please could someone help me with this, we are not given area or spring constant of the piston or spring just what I have stated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Carlo09 said:
(However just using ideal gas law to find temp yields wrong answer)
How do you know? How did you get the answer that you got for the temperature?

kuruman said:
How do you know? How did you get the answer that you got for the temperature?

The problem sheet we have been given has the answers on it, we need to show our working as it is that which is important.

OK then, show your work. What value for the final temperature did you get and how exactly did you get it?

kuruman said:
OK then, show your work. What value for the final temperature did you get and how exactly did you get it?

My work is wrong, it gives me the wrong answer.

P1V1=nRT1 / P2V2=nRT2

P1V1/P2V2 =T1/T2 T2 = T1P2V2 / P1V1 and I get T2= 1146 degrees C which is Slightly too high.

The formula that you are using is correct. Maybe you put in the numbers in the wrong place, maybe you did the calculation incorrectly. If you don't show exactly what you did and how you got the numbers, I cannot find where the problem is.

kuruman said:
The formula that you are using is correct. Maybe you put in the numbers in the wrong place, maybe you did the calculation incorrectly. If you don't show exactly what you did and how you got the numbers, I cannot find where the problem is.

I solved it, this is what I did:

From the temperature we know it's superhated steam so looking at the steam tables we can find it's specific volume, 1/Specific volume = Density, density * volume = mass

So now we have the mass of the steam in the system.

Now mass / final volume = density ... 1/density = specific volume at the final state and now looking at the steam tables and interpolating you can find final temperature :)

What is the purpose of solving a piston and spring homework problem?

The purpose of solving a piston and spring homework problem is to apply the principles of thermodynamics, specifically work, temperature, and heat input, to a real-life scenario. This allows students to practice problem-solving skills and gain a better understanding of how these principles are applied in the field of science and engineering.

What is the first step in solving a piston and spring homework problem?

The first step in solving a piston and spring homework problem is to clearly define the problem and identify the given information. This includes understanding the system and its components, as well as any known values or variables.

How is work calculated in a piston and spring homework problem?

Work in a piston and spring homework problem is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the piston by the distance it moves. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the relationship between heat input and temperature change in a piston and spring homework problem?

In a piston and spring homework problem, heat input and temperature change have a direct relationship. This means that as heat input increases, the temperature will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is governed by the specific heat capacity and the mass of the system.

What are some common challenges when solving a piston and spring homework problem?

Some common challenges when solving a piston and spring homework problem include correctly identifying the system and its components, understanding the given information and how it relates to the problem, and applying the correct equations and principles. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and to double-check all calculations to ensure accurate results.