Why Does a New Syringe Have an Open Piston?

In summary, the question is why the piston in a new syringe is not completely closed. Some speculate that it is to prevent adhesion to the front wall, while others believe it may be to differentiate from new syringes. It is also noted that some new syringes are fully closed while others are slightly open. One possible reason for leaving syringes partly open is to prevent the rubber from being pulled off the plastic plunger.
Leodoc
Why the piston in a new syringe is not completely closed,,?
Is it just because of to differentiate from New one or it just have a scientific reason

Physics news on Phys.org
I am just guessing, but it may be to prevent adhesion to the front wall.

Dale said:
I am just guessing, but it may be to prevent adhesion to the front wall.
May be,, because even after not completely closed it well tight..

Last edited by a moderator:
Leodoc said:

Are you sure that this is always the case?

Leodoc said:
Is it just because of to differentiate from New one or it just have a scientific reason
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about your question? Using Google Images or Google Shopping, I see new syringes that are fully closed and some that are open a little.

https://cdn-1.au.xmsymphony.com/4d9c396d11102d97ff4226a2e42b15a4/contents/V00064/insulin-syringe.jpg

insulin-syringe.jpg

Attachments

• insulin-syringe.jpg
    insulin-syringe.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 484
I leave syringes partly open because they sometimes stick. I don't know if this would happen with new ones, or whether it is due to slight contamination remaining after use. (Despite washing.)
My reason, based on experience of not doing it, is that I can press hard and break the seal/bond, but if I pull the rubber gets pulled off the plastic plunger.

Just in case PC PF people are worried, I do not use these for medicines nor anything like that! Mainly inks and aqueous solutions for photographic processes.

Likes berkeman

1. Why does a new syringe have an open piston?

The open piston in a new syringe serves several purposes. Firstly, it allows for air to be expelled from the syringe, ensuring accurate measurement of the substance being drawn. Secondly, it allows for the plunger to move smoothly and easily without any resistance. Lastly, it helps to prevent any leakage of the substance before it is ready to be administered.

2. Is it safe to use a syringe with an open piston?

Yes, it is completely safe to use a syringe with an open piston. As mentioned before, the open piston is designed to ensure accurate measurement and prevent any leakage. As long as the syringe is used properly and the needle is securely attached, there should be no issues with using a syringe with an open piston.

3. Can I close the piston on a new syringe?

No, the piston on a new syringe is designed to be open and should not be closed. Attempting to close the piston may cause damage to the syringe and affect its ability to accurately measure and administer substances.

4. How do I know if the piston on my syringe is open?

The easiest way to tell if the piston on your syringe is open is by visually inspecting it. The open piston will have a small gap between the plunger and the barrel of the syringe, allowing for air to be expelled and for smooth movement. If there is no gap and the piston appears to be closed, it is likely that the syringe has been used before and the piston has been pushed down.

5. Do all syringes have open pistons?

No, not all syringes have open pistons. Some syringes, such as insulin syringes, may have a different design with a smaller gap or no gap at all between the plunger and the barrel. These syringes are designed for specific purposes and should be used according to their intended function.