Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pitch and wrench

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    please replace the force-couple system of the previous problem with a wrench. Please state the pitch of the wrench and the coordinates of the point at which the wrench axis intercepts the xy plane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ok there are 3 forces going in different directions at different points. the force-couple system they are referring too consists of the moment about point D (MD) and the resultant force (R) if I understand correctly.

MD = <2376.1, 950, -710>
    R = <238.1, -46.9, 237.7>

note: 1 force created no moment because it was alligned with point D

pitch (p) = (R MD)/(magnitude of R^2) = 3.054

that much seems easy, im confident that i did that much correctly. I was trying what the book told me to do for the rest and I keep getting answers with infinity and unmatching answers. they said M1 = pR. so I did pR to get M1.
    then they said: M1 + rXR = MD
    so i need to figure out vector r. so i set rXR = MD - M1.
    if i set r = <x,y,z> and plug that in then i get answers with infinity (for x,y, and z)
    they ask for the xy axis so on my next attempt i set z = 0 and plugged in r = <x,y,0> then i got answers that didnt match...
    any idea what I am doing wrong?

p.s.
    i also tried just doing rXR = MD. i had the same results

OK i just relooked the part where i put in r = <x,y,0>
    i came up with value for x and y but in the 3rd equation it doesnt add up to 0 like it should. it is off by .0722

is this a problem? or is it only a matter of signifigant figures? because if its just SF then i think i actually did the problem correctly. just let me know if you see anything wrong with the concept of what i explained

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted