Solve Pith Ball Charge: Equal Charges on Two Balls

In summary, two small pith balls with a mass of 12 g each are suspended by 1.2 m fine strings and are not moving. The angle that each string makes with the vertical is 42.6 degrees and the charges on the two balls are equal. By equating the forces in the x and y directions to zero, the electric force and gravitational force can be found. Using the equation Fe=kQ^2/r^2, the charge Q can be solved for, which is 178 microC. However, upon closer inspection, it is discovered that the weight of the balls was incorrectly calculated due to forgetting to convert grams to kilograms. The correct charge is therefore different from the initial calculation.
chukie
Two small pith balls, each of mass m = 12 g, are suspended by 1.2 m fine strings and are not moving. If the angle that each string makes with the vertical is q = 42.6 , and the charges on the two balls are equal, what is that charge (in microC)?

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5977/picmd8.th.jpg

I equated the forces in x and y to zero:

Tcos42.6-117.6=0
T=159.76

Tsin42.6+Fe=0
plugging in 159.76
Fe=108

then i used the equation Fe=kQ^2/r^2

i solved for r by doing this:
r=2(1.2sin42.6)
r=1.6 m

I'm not sure if my steps are right. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's tan theta equal to?

Yep, it seems right what you have right now.

tan 42.6 = Electric force / gravitational force

Select to get more hint

rootX said:
What's tan theta equal to?

Yep, it seems right what you have right now.

tan 42.6 = Electric force / gravitational force

Select to get more hint

let's a better way to find Fe, which is 108 N. Then plugging it into the equation then solving for Q, the answer I came up with is 178 microC, but the answer is wrong =(
I don't know where I've made a mistake.

Hi chukie,

chukie said:
Two small pith balls, each of mass m = 12 g, are suspended by 1.2 m fine strings and are not moving. If the angle that each string makes with the vertical is q = 42.6 , and the charges on the two balls are equal, what is that charge (in microC)?

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5977/picmd8.th.jpg

I equated the forces in x and y to zero:

Tcos42.6-117.6=0

The weight of 117.6 N you find here does not look correct to me. (You don't have units here, but your last post indicates that you meant it to be Newtons.) Do you see what went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh! i see now! i forgot to convert grams into kg! thanks so much!

1. How do you determine the charge on each pith ball?

The charge on each pith ball can be determined by measuring the distance between the balls and using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the purpose of equal charges on two pith balls?

The purpose of having equal charges on two pith balls is to create a controlled and balanced system for conducting experiments in electrostatics. This allows for accurate measurements and observations of the behavior of charged objects.

3. What type of charge do pith balls typically carry?

Pith balls typically carry a positive charge, as they are often used in experiments involving the attraction and repulsion of charged objects. However, they can also carry a negative charge depending on the materials and methods used in the experiment.

4. Can the charges on pith balls be changed?

Yes, the charges on pith balls can be changed by rubbing them with different materials, such as fur or silk, which can transfer electrons and create a charge imbalance.

5. What factors can affect the charge on pith balls?

The charge on pith balls can be affected by various factors, including the type of material used, the distance between the balls, and the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity. Additionally, environmental factors such as humidity and temperature can also impact the charge on pith balls.