How can I find the electrostatic force on one of the balls in the Pith Ball Lab?

• Thread starter braindead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving two pith balls separated by an electrostatic force. The formula being used is Fe=kq/r^2 and the variables needed are k=9.0x10^9, r=7.3cm or .073m, and an angle of 20 degrees. The goal is to find the tension in the string and the horizontal component in order to solve for Fe. Drawing a force diagram and isolating the electrostatic force is recommended for solving the problem.
braindead
Pith ball lab. HELP

In the lab there are 2 balls that are being separated by an electrostatic force.
Since both of the balls are receiving the same force it is only neccesary to find the force on one of the balls.

So here goes. The formula I am using is Fe=k q/r(squared)

I know k= 9.0 x 10^9
R= 7.3 cm or .073m
and the angle is 20* for one side
I believe I need to find tension in the string. And find the horizontal component so I can find Fe because those 2 are equivalant. I am just not sure how to do it. :uhh:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know someone knows this.

Drawing a force diagram for one of the balls will be the most helpful thing in this situation. Also, note the electrostatic force depends on BOTH charges, so its kqq/r^2. What exactly are you trying to find? Isolate this force from the force diagram. Then from there you can solve for whatever unknown you have.

1. What is the purpose of the Pith Ball Lab?

The purpose of the Pith Ball Lab is to explore the principles of electrostatics, specifically the concept of charge and its behavior in an electric field.

2. How does the Pith Ball Lab work?

The Pith Ball Lab involves using a pith ball, which is a small, lightweight ball made of a plant material called pith, as a conductor. The ball is suspended from a string and brought near a charged object or electric field. The movement of the ball is then observed and recorded to understand the behavior of charges in the presence of an electric field.

3. What materials are needed for the Pith Ball Lab?

To conduct the Pith Ball Lab, you will need a pith ball, a string, a charged object (such as a balloon or comb), and a ruler for measuring distance. A lab notebook and pen may also be helpful for recording observations and data.

4. What can be learned from the Pith Ball Lab?

The Pith Ball Lab allows for the exploration of several key concepts in electrostatics, including the behavior of charges and electric fields, the relationship between distance and force, and the principles of attraction and repulsion between charged objects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind while conducting the Pith Ball Lab?

While the Pith Ball Lab is generally safe to conduct, it is important to avoid using high voltage sources or objects that could potentially cause harm. It is also important to handle the pith ball and string with care to avoid damaging them. Always follow proper safety protocols and use caution when working with any type of electricity.