Pith Balls Problem: Find Expression for x & Instantaneous Relative Speed

• Thread starter bruce550
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the conversation discusses the method to find an expression for x when two similar pith balls of mass m are hung from a common point with the help of 2 long silk threads. The balls carry similar charges q and assuming theta is very small, an expression for x is obtained. The conversation also discusses the method to find the instantaneous relative speed at which the balls approach each other initially, assuming that each ball loses charge at a rate of 1*10^-9 c/s. The method involves finding the initial angular acceleration using F = ma in the radial direction and applying F = ma along the string.
bruce550
If 2 similar pith balls of mass m are hung from a common point with the help of 2 long silk threads. The balls carry similar charges q. Assuming theta is very small find an expression for x. Also assuming that each ball loses charge at a rate of 1*10^-9 c/s at what instantaneous relative speed (dx/dt) do the balls approach each other initially?? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Help please...

welcome to pf!

hi bruce550! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tcos(theta)=mg and tsintheta=F
dividing we get tantheta=f/mg =(kq^2/x^2 )*1/mg ... - (1)
now since theta is very small so theta=tantheta.
equating 1... we get
x^2=kq^2/mgtheta and hence we get the value for x .. m not sure if m correct. but if i m then how to find the second part of the question.. m stuckd... please hlp man.. gt exams..

nd hi... :)

hi bruce550! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
bruce550 said:
tcos(theta)=mg and tsintheta=F
dividing we get tantheta=f/mg =(kq^2/x^2 )*1/mg ... - (1)
now since theta is very small so theta=tantheta.
equating 1... we get
x^2=kq^2/mgtheta

your method is fine, but you haven't gone far enough …

θ depends on x, so you still need to get rid of it!

use tanθ = x/L :smile:

(btw, "θ is very small" means tanθ = x/L, instead of tanθ = x/√(L2 - x2))

yea gt dat... tnx. but what about the next part??

you first! :wink:

i rly don't know how to attempt this part. serious!

hint: first find the initial angular acceleration :wink:

ohkay.. i did t. α=d(omega)/dt=d^2θ/dt^2 right?
then ... using previous values from the first aprt of the question i get..
(dq/dt)^2 *(k/mgx^2) .. right? now to find the instantaneous speed .. how do i find the mass and x? thanks again.

i mean i get domega/dt =(dq/dt)^2 *(k/mgx^2) ..

(have an omega: ω :smile:)

no, you need to do F = ma all over again

this time, the vertical acceleration isn't 0, so you'll need to do F = ma in the radial direction (because you do know the centripetal acceleration) :wink:

hhey... i m not getting your point.. can u jst solv it.. i mean if u knw d right way 2 solv it. tnks.

of course... its the rate of tangential velocity. ohk .. can you tell me to what parts i m corrct?? i mean i did dat domega/dt =(dq/dt)^2 *(k/mgx^2) .. and you are saying about centripetal acceleration.. :(

**rate of chng of tangential velocity

mmm.. do you mean a=dv/dt and w^2 *r=dv/dt ... if it is den.. how do i find ω here?? i know dat ω=v/r...

hey i think i have got it... chek dis..
tao=pEsintheta.. so sintheta=theta right??
alfa=qxetheta/mx^2=qetheta/mx now since theta=x/√l^2-x^2 ... so putting we get...
alfa=qE/m√l^2-x^2

(forget θ = tanθ, all you need is sinθ = tanθ = x/L)

you don't seem to know what centripetal acceleration is :redface:

have you done any questions on it?

you need to apply F = ma along the string

got the answer.. tnks..

1. How do you determine the expression for x in the Pith Balls Problem?

In order to find the expression for x in the Pith Balls Problem, you must first use the equation for conservation of energy. This equation states that the initial potential energy of the system is equal to the final kinetic energy. By setting these two energies equal to each other and solving for x, you can find the expression for x.

2. What is the Pith Balls Problem?

The Pith Balls Problem is a physics problem that involves two charged pith balls suspended from a string. The problem asks you to find the expression for the distance between the balls, x, at a given point in time, as well as the instantaneous relative speed between the balls at that point in time.

3. Can the Pith Balls Problem be solved using only conservation of energy?

Yes, the Pith Balls Problem can be solved using only conservation of energy. This is because the problem only involves the forces of gravity and electrostatic force, which do not dissipate energy. Therefore, the total energy of the system remains constant and can be used to solve for the expression of x.

4. How can the instantaneous relative speed between the balls be calculated?

The instantaneous relative speed between the pith balls can be calculated by taking the derivative of the expression for x with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous velocity of the balls at a particular point in time. You can then use this velocity to find the relative speed between the balls.

5. Does the length of the string affect the solution to the Pith Balls Problem?

No, the length of the string does not affect the solution to the Pith Balls Problem. The problem assumes that the string is rigid and does not stretch, meaning the distance between the balls remains constant. Therefore, the length of the string does not impact the expression for x or the instantaneous relative speed between the balls.