What are the factors that contribute to crevice corrosion in stainless steel?

• Thread starter jra12222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary, the corrosion process is initiated when an element is introduced into a water solution. This element provides electrons that travel to other elements in the solution, which then reacts with the water. This reaction produces hydrogen and hydroxide. The metal where the corrosion takes place always becomes the anode.
jra12222
Hi all,
I am trying to understand how the process of either crevice or pitting corrosion works (I believe they are quite the same)
I understood the part of how they start and what enhances them or how they can be prevented, but I can't understand an actual scenario.
Say for example we have stainless steel in a water solution;
  1. From which elements and to which elements do the electrons travel?
  2. With which elements does the water react? -> and does it always change to hydrogen and hydroxide?
  3. How does hydrogen increase the acidity?
  4. Why does the steel where the corrosion take place always become the anode?
I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am actually in my final year of the degree (mechanical engineering) however materials was never my strong point :sorry:
I did read that information before and I also watched a number of videos on pitting/crevice corrosion, however I couldn't find a suitable example explanation.

A summary of what I know (will focus on Crevice):
  • the fact that the crevice needs to be big enough for the corrodent to enter but small enough to remain stagnant,
  • the fact that crevices trap pollutants, moisture, and excludes oxygen (not entirely sure about the oxygen however to be honest, since it is required for corrosion to take place)
  • the oxide layer formed between the metal and oxygen to stop electron flow
  • this layer can be broken by mechanical means like scratching
  • and in order for crevice corrosion to take place 2 factors are important:
    1. drop in potential into the crevice
    2. and the chemical composition of electrolyte
As you can see what I know (assuming it is correct) is only the theoretical aspect, I don't know how it would actually happen.

Likes anorlunda

What is pitting corrosion?

Pitting corrosion is a localized form of corrosion that occurs in metals, typically due to exposure to an aggressive environment. It appears as small holes or pits on the surface of the metal, and can lead to significant damage and failure of the material.

What is crevice corrosion?

Crevice corrosion is a type of localized corrosion that occurs in narrow spaces or crevices on the surface of a metal. It is caused by a difference in the concentration of corrosive agents between the crevice and the surrounding environment, resulting in accelerated corrosion in the crevice.

What are the main factors that contribute to pitting and crevice corrosion?

The main factors that contribute to pitting and crevice corrosion are environmental conditions, such as the presence of corrosive agents (e.g. salt, acids), temperature, and humidity. The type of metal and its composition also play a role, as well as the presence of other contributing factors such as stress or galvanic corrosion.

How can pitting and crevice corrosion be prevented?

Pitting and crevice corrosion can be prevented by selecting corrosion-resistant materials, designing structures to minimize crevices or gaps where corrosion can occur, and controlling environmental factors. Coatings and inhibitors can also be used to protect metal surfaces from corrosion.

What are some methods for detecting and monitoring pitting and crevice corrosion?

Visual inspection, corrosion coupons, ultrasonic testing, and electrochemical methods are commonly used for detecting and monitoring pitting and crevice corrosion. These methods can provide information on the extent and severity of corrosion and help to identify areas that may need repair or further protection.