PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier

In summary, the student is struggling to understand the provided solution for Part C of a problem, which involves using KVL to solve for a center-tapped full-wave rectifier. The solution provided by the instructor includes a factor of 2 in front of Vs, which the student and their classmates do not understand. The student is considering asking the instructor for clarification on where this factor of 2 comes from in regards to the PIV rating. However, the provided solution may not necessarily be incorrect, as a safety factor of 2 is commonly used in component ratings in practical applications.
SuperCat

Homework Statement

Part C of the problem below. I have the solution but I don't follow the logic.
4959f4fe338b49a8657613ad0201b387.png

f47d2dbcceb15307dfdef604ae1010f5.png

Homework Equations

Turns ratio: Vp/Vs = Np / Ns
KVL
I do not think I need any elaborate formulas to solve this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution Provided by instructor:
5a5161b2c24a26693130b9e945eb1c4d.png

I am confused why there is 2 in front of Vs.
When I apply KVL to a loop it looks something like:
Reverse Biased Diode = Forward Biased Diode + Vo

My KVL matches up with page 213 of Microelectronics Circuits Sedra 7e:
f365908e11bfbd47d0b57aa6316ef96a.png

The solution provided to me seems like it would match up with a center-tapped full-wave rectifier, but I have asked a handful of classmates who all seem to agree with the provided solution so I was hoping to either receive confirmation that the solution provided to me is wrong or an elaboration.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right.
You might pose this question to your instructor:
Since one end of the secondary is always connected to ground thru a conducting diode, and the only voltage source is the transformer secondary, where does the factor of 2 come from for the PIV rating?

P.S. The PIV is always the peak line-to-line voltage. The factor of 2 applies to full wave center tapped only in that the output voltage is derived from the voltage of one leg of the transformer, i.e. center tap to one end.

P.P.S. In the real world of making stuff that continues to work, a safety factor of 2 is used in almost all component ratings. I doubt that he has this in mind for this course on theory.

A rather old reference:
Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computer, and Communications. Seventh Edition, 1985. Pg. 14-12. Howard W. Sams & Co. Indianapolis , Indiana, ISBN 0-672-21563-2

Likes SuperCat

1. What is a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier?

A PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier is an electronic component that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by using four diodes arranged in a specific bridge configuration. It is commonly used in power supplies and electronic circuits to convert AC power to DC power.

2. How does a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier work?

A PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier works by using four diodes, which act as one-way valves for electric current. When the AC input signal changes direction, two diodes conduct current while the other two are reverse-biased and do not conduct. This process is repeated for each half-cycle of the AC signal, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

3. What is the maximum reverse voltage that a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier can handle?

The PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) rating of a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier is the maximum reverse voltage that it can withstand without breaking down. This value is typically double the maximum AC voltage that the rectifier will be subjected to, to ensure safe operation.

4. What are the advantages of using a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier?

The main advantage of using a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier is its efficiency in converting AC to DC. It has a higher output voltage and lower ripple voltage compared to other rectifier configurations. Additionally, it is a cost-effective solution and has a simple design.

5. What are the common applications of a PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier?

A PIV full-wave Bridge Rectifier is commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and household appliances. It is also used in rectifier circuits for battery charging, motor control, and other electronic systems that require DC power.