Create Rotatable Metal Reptile Scales with 3D Printer

• Thread starter TriflingTroy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to create a new metal sculpture of an alien reptile with rotatable scales. They want the scales to be able to rotate from flat to a 45 degree angle, but are struggling to find a pivot small enough for the inch-wide scales. They mention having a 3D printer and ask for suggestions on how to make the piece if it cannot be hand made. One idea is to use piano wire placed through small holes in each scale and attached to the skin, allowing for rotation and retention of the scales at different angles. The individual apologizes for being vague and offers to provide more details if needed.
TriflingTroy
Hey guys. I am currently building a plan for a new metal sculpture of an alien reptile thing. The twist for me is that I want it's scales to be rotatable from being flat up to a 45 degree angle. The pivot needed would have to be fairly small ( scales are nearly inch wide) . I could not find a pivot of this size even talked about anywhere. I do have a 3D printer if you folks can conclude that this piece dose not exist and can not be hand made.

Thanks

PS. sorry about being vague. I am still drafting the idea and moving parts are not my forte. I can explain more if needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Spinner-Blades/

Put two small holes in each scale near the skin. Thread scales on piano-wire so scale has a slight arch due to the straight wire through the two holes. Rotate the wire one way to raise the scales, return by turning wire backwards when friction between scale and wire will reset them to flat on skin surface. The piano wires can be stitched or tied to the skin to keep each row of scales in place. Wires bend to conform with the surface.

1. What is the purpose of creating rotatable metal reptile scales with a 3D printer?

The purpose is to have a more efficient and cost-effective way of producing scale-like structures for use in various industries such as robotics, aerospace, and medical fields.

2. What materials are typically used in creating these reptile scales with a 3D printer?

Materials such as metal powders, polymers, and resins are commonly used in creating these scales. The choice of material depends on the desired properties and applications of the scales.

3. Can these scales be customized for different types of reptiles?

Yes, the design and dimensions of the scales can be easily modified to fit the specific needs of different types of reptiles. This is one of the advantages of using a 3D printer for production.

4. How does the 3D printing process work for creating these reptile scales?

The process involves using computer-aided design (CAD) software to create a digital model of the scale, which is then converted into instructions for the 3D printer. The printer then uses the chosen material to build the scale layer by layer, following the digital model.

5. What are the potential benefits of using 3D printing for creating reptile scales compared to traditional manufacturing methods?

Some potential benefits include faster production time, lower costs, and the ability to create complex and intricate designs that may not be possible with traditional methods. Additionally, 3D printing allows for on-demand production, reducing the need for storage space and inventory management.