1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pivoting rod help

1. Dec 1, 2003 #1
    Picture is attached.

A rod with mass M = 1.4 kg and length L = 1.2 m is mounted on a central pivot . A metal ball of mass m = .7 kg is attached to one end of the rod. You may treat the metal ball as a point mass. The system is oriented in the vertical plane and gravity is acting. The rod initially makes an angle theta = 27 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The rod is released from rest. What is the angular acceleration of the rod immediately after it is released?
    -----------------------------------
    Ok, first I converted 27 degrees to .471 radians.

Now, I know that Net torque =I*alpha

or net torque = [I(rod)+I(point mass)]*alpha

so I got it set up like this

r-r*m2*g*sin .471=[I(rod)+I(point mass)]*alpha

where r is 1.2m/2=.6m
    m2=mass of ball=.7kg
    m1=1.4kg
    I(rod)=1/12*mL^2=(1/12)*(1.4kg)*(1.2m)^2
    I(ball)=mr^2=.7kg*(.6m)^2

So yea, does that look like I set it up right? I'm not to sure if I set up my net torque right, but I think I got the other half of the equation correct.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good except for the left hand side of the above, which is the torque. I think you're mixing up the angles.

4. Dec 1, 2003 #3
    Ok. I re-tried it with 207 degrees, or 3.61 radians, but that new angle still doesn't give me the right answer. I get an alpha of 5.85 /sec^2.

5. Dec 1, 2003 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not sure what you are doing. The torque is r*F*sinα, where α is the angle between the r and F vectors. But in this case: torque = r*mg*sinα = r*mg*cosθ, by the definition of θ in your diagram. Make sense?

6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    Yea, now it does. Should have said that earlier, but I'm greatfully grateful for your help. I've spent at least an hour on this, but now I'm done. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?