1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pivoting Rod

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rod with mass M and length L is mounted on a central pivot. A ball is attached at the end of the rod. The rod initially makes an angle [tex]q = 27^{\circ}[/tex] with the horizontal. The rod is released from rest. What is the angular acceleration immediately after the rod is released?

2. The attempt at a solution
    M = 1.4 kg
    m = 0.7 kg
    L = 1.2 m

[tex]\sum\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\tau = F_{g}rcos(q) = (mg)(\frac{L}{2})cos(27^{\circ})[/tex]

[tex]I = (\frac{1}{12})ML^{2} + (M(\frac{L}{2})^{2})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{(mg)(\frac{L}{2})cos(27^{\circ})}{(\frac{1}{12})ML^{2} + (M(\frac{L}{2})^{2})}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{(0.7kg * 9.81 m/s^{2})(\frac{1.2m}{2})cos(27^{\circ})}{(\frac{1}{12})(1.4 kg)(1.2 m)^{2} + (1.4kg(\frac{1.2 m}{2})^{2})} = \frac{3.67113 \frac{kgm^{2}}{s^{2}}}{0.672 kgm^{2}} = 5.46 \frac{rad}{s^{2}}[/tex]

I believe I did everything correctly, however, the computer is saying I'm not. Would any of you please point out what's wrong with my solution?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums,

You may want to recheck your moment of inertia, particularly the masses...

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Upon further inspection of the MOI, I noticed that I used the incorrect mass for the ball (M instead of m). I've corrected the issue and got the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?