Solving Angular Acceleration of a Rod-Ball System

In summary, the conversation discusses the angular acceleration of a rod with a ball attached to its end, released from rest at an initial angle of 27 degrees with the horizontal. The solution involves calculating the moment of inertia and using the formula \alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} to find the angular acceleration, which was initially incorrect due to an error in the calculation of the moment of inertia. After correcting the mistake, the correct answer was obtained.
ambient_88

Homework Statement

A rod with mass M and length L is mounted on a central pivot. A ball is attached at the end of the rod. The rod initially makes an angle [tex]q = 27^{\circ}[/tex] with the horizontal. The rod is released from rest. What is the angular acceleration immediately after the rod is released?2. The attempt at a solution
M = 1.4 kg
m = 0.7 kg
L = 1.2 m

[tex]\sum\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\tau = F_{g}rcos(q) = (mg)(\frac{L}{2})cos(27^{\circ})[/tex]

[tex]I = (\frac{1}{12})ML^{2} + (M(\frac{L}{2})^{2})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{(mg)(\frac{L}{2})cos(27^{\circ})}{(\frac{1}{12})ML^{2} + (M(\frac{L}{2})^{2})}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{(0.7kg * 9.81 m/s^{2})(\frac{1.2m}{2})cos(27^{\circ})}{(\frac{1}{12})(1.4 kg)(1.2 m)^{2} + (1.4kg(\frac{1.2 m}{2})^{2})} = \frac{3.67113 \frac{kgm^{2}}{s^{2}}}{0.672 kgm^{2}} = 5.46 \frac{rad}{s^{2}}[/tex]

I believe I did everything correctly, however, the computer is saying I'm not. Would any of you please point out what's wrong with my solution?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums,

You may want to recheck your moment of inertia, particularly the masses...

Thanks for the reply. Upon further inspection of the MOI, I noticed that I used the incorrect mass for the ball (M instead of m). I've corrected the issue and got the correct answer.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / t, where ω₂ and ω₁ are the final and initial angular velocities, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What is a rod-ball system?

A rod-ball system is a mechanical system that consists of a rod or beam that is attached to a ball at one end. The ball can move freely in a circular path around the axis of the rod, and the system is often used to study rotational motion and dynamics.

4. How do you solve for angular acceleration in a rod-ball system?

To solve for angular acceleration in a rod-ball system, you need to first identify the forces acting on the system, such as gravity, friction, and tension. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the equations of rotational motion to set up and solve equations for the system.

5. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod-ball system?

The angular acceleration of a rod-ball system can be affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of mass of the ball and rod, the forces acting on the system, and the length and moment of inertia of the rod. Friction and air resistance can also affect the angular acceleration of the system.