Is Protein Structure Handedness Consistent?

• Thread starter luckymango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses the handedness of protein structures and whether there can be left-handed proteins in the body. It is mentioned that the natural proteins are mostly right-handed, but there are exceptions. The conversation also brings up the confusion about the coiled coil structure and the presence of right-handed proteins in it. The attached file shows a visual representation of the difference between left and right-handed helices.
luckymango
Proteins

Are protein structures always right-handed??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
luckymango said:
Are protein structures always right-handed??

The natural ones are

So does that mean that there won't be any left-handed proteins in our bodies?

No, there shouldn't

I'm a bit confused about the right-handed and left-handed proteins. I know that the coiled coil structure has to be left-handed but why wikipedia shows 2 right-handed coil instead?? Does it mean that a the 2 alpha-helix are right-handed but coiled together in a left-handed way??

I have attached a file of what I think a right-handed and left-handed should be.

Below is the url for wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coiled_coil

Attachments

• aaa.JPG
    aaa.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
I'm really not quite sure what you're asking here, the attached file shows a left handed helix on the left and a right handed one on the right.

1. What is the relationship between pKa and solubility?

The pKa value of a compound is a measure of its acidity or basicity, while solubility refers to how well a compound dissolves in a solvent. In general, compounds with lower pKa values are more acidic and tend to be more soluble in polar solvents. On the other hand, compounds with higher pKa values are more basic and tend to be more soluble in nonpolar solvents.

2. How does pKa affect the solubility of weak acids and bases?

For weak acids, the pKa value can affect the solubility by indicating the degree of ionization in a solution. A lower pKa value means a stronger acid, which will be more likely to dissociate in water and therefore have higher solubility. For weak bases, a higher pKa value means a weaker base and lower solubility in water.

3. Can pKa and solubility be used to predict a compound's behavior in different environments?

Yes, pKa and solubility can provide valuable information about how a compound will behave in different environments. For example, a compound with a low pKa and high solubility in water will likely be more reactive in aqueous solutions, while a compound with a high pKa and low solubility in water will likely be more stable in such environments.

4. What other factors can influence the solubility of a compound besides pKa?

Solubility can also be influenced by other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solvent. In addition, the presence of other solutes or chemical interactions between the solute and solvent can also affect solubility.

5. How can the pKa and solubility of a compound be experimentally determined?

The pKa value of a compound can be determined through titration experiments, while solubility can be measured by dissolving a known amount of the compound in a given volume of solvent and measuring the concentration of the solution. Both pKa and solubility can also be calculated using theoretical models based on the chemical structure of the compound.