Place i can get a basic idea about physics

In summary: A Brief History of Time is a good book. The best thing for me was, in the beginnings, is googling the internet.k I am going to try that when i get back from school thanks.We got some future austronauts here. Just make sure you remember where you learned your physics when you grow up.Hopefully an astrophysicist! :wink: :approve:I'm just wondering if anyone knows i a place i can get a basic idea about physics, they don't start teaching us anything about it until high school in my school and I'm only in 7th grade. Thanks.You might try "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor &
Someone502
I don't understand half of what is being said here but that's ok with me. When i understand something it is only because I've read Stephen Hawkin's A Brief History of Time (I acutally understood soemthings in the beginning and in the end) . I'm just wondering if anyone knows i a place i can get a basic idea about physics, they don't start teaching us anything about it until high school in my school and I'm only in 7th grade. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there;
For someone in your age group, I highly recommend 'Daily Planet' on Discovery Channel. I don't get cable myself, but it comes on CTV Saturday morning here. Some of the stuff might be a little deep, but a lot is simplified and still very interesting. Also, they like to showcase new gizmos like cameras and iPods and such like. This show is not specifically about physics, just science in general. There's also a neat newspaper comic called 'You Can with Beakman & Jax'. I've never looked at the website, but you might enjoy it. (myQuestion@beakman.com) I'm sure that others can be of more help, but I figured I'd give it a shot on the way by.

thanks but those things are a little to basic for me. They would be good for the average 7th grader but I am a little ahead of the other kids (they hear Einstein the only thing they think is E=mc^2 and they don't know what that even means). Even my friends who are on the smarter side don't like it when i start talking about physics stuff.

Someone502 said:
Even my friends who are on the smarter side don't like it when i start talking about physics stuff.

Same here! :rofl:
A Brief History of Time is a good book. The best thing for me was, in the beginnings, is googling the internet.

k I am going to try that when i get back from school thanks.

we got some future austronauts here. Just make sure you remember where you learned your physics when you grow up.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
we got some future austronauts here.

Hopefully an astrophysicist! :wink: :approve:

Someone502 said:
I'm just wondering if anyone knows i a place i can get a basic idea about physics, they don't start teaching us anything about it until high school in my school and I'm only in 7th grade. Thanks.
You might try "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor & Wheeler (pub: Freeman). It deals with relativity and related things in a very readable way. Plus it's paperback, so not expensive

Someone502 said:
thanks but those things are a little to basic for me.
Sorry... I underestimated your current knowledge. :redface: Although real scientists seem to scorn it, I never miss buying Scientific American. It's probably just about right for you. Even if a particular issue has no articles in your specific area of interest, it will broaden that area. The '50, 100 & 150 Years Ago' reprints, 'Skeptic' column, 'Anti Gravity' and 'Ask the Experts' are worth buying it for in themselves. There's also a 'Mathematical Recreations' page, but I stay away from it because I hate math and don't understand it.

Last edited:
thanks for all your help. I am looking into the book and magizine and I am searching google now

Last edited:
I just spotted something that seems ideal. I'm new here and didn't see it before. Just a few threads away (it varies) is one called Watered-Down Physics. The blurb sounds as if it's exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Check it out.

Someone502 said:
I don't understand half of what is being said here but that's ok with me. When i understand something it is only because I've read Stephen Hawkin's A Brief History of Time (I acutally understood soemthings in the beginning and in the end) . I'm just wondering if anyone knows i a place i can get a basic idea about physics, they don't start teaching us anything about it until high school in my school and I'm only in 7th grade. Thanks.

If you have read ABHOT, then these books should be alright for you.

A Brief History of science - John gribbin
The universe in a Nutshell - SH

These books i don't recommend at your age, but scouring through it could be a good idea at what physics is like in the modren days:

-The elegant universe
- The search for schrodingers cat
- the pleasure of finding things out (for inspiration)

popular science and scientific american are great. www.scientificamerican.com[/url] [url]www.popsci.com[/URL] . by the time you (and I, being that i only have a year on you) get to physics, we will be able to use it as a study hall. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i love study hall. wow, I'm a loser to be on a physics forum while in 8th grade, but loser in a good way. :approve:

Fibonacci

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm subcribed to popsci but not scientific american, and cool i thought i was the only kid here.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a branch of science that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

2. How can I learn the basics of physics?

There are many resources available to learn the basics of physics. You can start by reading introductory textbooks, watching educational videos, or attending lectures. Online courses and tutorials are also great options for self-learning.

3. What are some important concepts in physics?

Some important concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and thermodynamics. These concepts help explain the behavior of the physical world and are fundamental to understanding more complex phenomena.

4. What is the best way to approach learning physics?

The best way to learn physics is by being curious and asking questions. It is also important to have a solid foundation in mathematics, as many concepts in physics rely on mathematical equations and calculations. Practice and experimentation are also key to understanding and applying physics concepts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of physics?

Absolutely! Physics has countless real-world applications, from the technology we use in our daily lives to the exploration of the universe. Some examples include electricity and electronics, medical imaging, space exploration, and renewable energy sources.