Where can I learn linear algebra online?

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations and has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. Some key concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants. To improve understanding, active practice and seeking out resources are recommended, along with a solid foundation in algebra and geometry. Real-world examples of linear algebra include data analysis, physical systems modeling, and computer graphics.
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, does anyone a great place to learn linear algebra online? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Khan Academy has videos on linear algebra..

Does it teach enough for me to use it in QM calculations?

That's the only reason I'm learning it. For Quantum Mechanics

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

There are many great resources available online to learn linear algebra. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These platforms offer free, comprehensive courses on linear algebra that cover topics such as vectors, matrices, and systems of equations. Additionally, there are many YouTube channels and online forums where you can find tutorials and practice problems to help you further understand the subject. I recommend exploring these options and finding the one that best suits your learning style. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve systems of linear equations and to represent and analyze geometric objects such as lines, planes, and rotations.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems, as well as for developing advanced technologies such as machine learning and data analysis.

3. What are some of the key concepts in linear algebra?

Some key concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants. These concepts form the building blocks for understanding and solving more advanced problems in linear algebra.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

The best way to improve your understanding of linear algebra is by actively practicing and solving problems. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can also be helpful. It is also important to have a solid understanding of algebra and geometry before diving into linear algebra.

5. Are there any real-world examples of linear algebra?

Yes, linear algebra has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used to analyze data in finance and economics, to model and predict physical systems in engineering, and to create computer graphics and animations in computer science. It is also an essential tool in fields such as robotics, image and signal processing, and quantum mechanics.