What is the role of the spinal cord in placebo analgesia?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physiology
In summary, placebo analgesia results in a reduction of nociceptive processing in the spinal cord. This reduction in nociceptive processing is likely due to spinal inhibition."In summary, placebo analgesia results in a reduction of nociceptive processing in the spinal cord. This reduction in nociceptive processing is likely due to spinal inhibition.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Direct Evidence for Spinal Cord Involvement in Placebo Analgesia
Falk Eippert, Jürgen Finsterbusch, Ulrike Bingel, Christian Büchel

Placebo analgesia is a prime example of the impact that psychological factors have on pain perception. We used functional magnetic resonance imaging of the human spinal cord to test the hypothesis that placebo analgesia results in a reduction of nociceptive processing in the spinal cord. In line with behavioral data that show decreased pain responses under placebo, pain-related activity in the spinal cord is strongly reduced under placebo. These results provide direct evidence for spinal inhibition as one mechanism of placebo analgesia and highlight that psychological factors can act on the earliest stages of pain processing in the central nervous system.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/5951/404

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20081023/50percent-of-doctors-give-fake-prescriptions"

I wonder what they charge for these treatments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20081023/50percent-of-doctors-give-fake-prescriptions"

I wonder what they charge for these treatments?

I think you get 20% off on a placebo... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
so i guess placebos wouldn't have much effect on trigeminal neuralgia, then?

Pythagorean said:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/5951/404
Have they considered that the patients that responded to placebos aren't actually suffering real pain, but that it's imagined?

I suffer from chronic pain, and believe me, I can tell when I have received pain medication. Sometimes I think I have taken pain meds and wonder why I am still in pain, then find my meds on a counter where I absent-mindedly laid them.

A good example was my recent surgery and the pain medication was adminstered through my IV. The nurse told me that I had received my pain medication, but the pain kept increasing, then they found out that the auto dispenser was turned off.

1. What is the placebo effect?

The placebo effect is a phenomenon in which a patient experiences real or perceived improvements in their health or symptoms after receiving a treatment that has no active ingredients or therapeutic value. It is thought to be caused by the patient's belief and expectations in the treatment.

2. How does the placebo effect work?

The placebo effect is believed to work through a complex interaction between the mind and body. When a patient believes they are receiving a real treatment, their brain releases neurotransmitters and hormones that can have a physical effect on the body, leading to improvements in symptoms.

3. Can the placebo effect be measured?

Yes, the placebo effect can be measured through various methods such as brain imaging, physiological measurements, and self-reported improvements in symptoms. However, it can be challenging to differentiate between the placebo effect and the natural course of a disease or the effects of other factors.

4. Is the placebo effect the same for everyone?

No, the placebo effect can vary from person to person depending on factors such as individual beliefs, expectations, and personality traits. Some individuals may be more susceptible to the placebo effect than others.

5. Can the placebo effect be utilized in medical treatments?

Yes, the placebo effect can be used in medical treatments as a part of a placebo-controlled trial. It can also be used in clinical practice to enhance the effectiveness of treatments, especially in conditions where there is a strong psychological component.

Back