Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Placement assesment help

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    tomarrow i have to take a quiz that determines what class i take next year in school. i have the answers to these problems but i dont know how to get all of them any help?

1. 2/3x + 1/2= 5/2

2. if 1/8 of a number is 12, then 1/4 of a number is?

3.if 3x+2=7x+5y, then x equals?

4. simplify (r2s4)^3/4 ?

5. the slope of a line x+2y=6 is?

6.simplify a/a^2-9 + 2/a+3 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi tyrizzle! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Sorry, but maths obviously isn't your thing …

Some students find questions like this easy, and they can go into a "fast" class where things aren't explained so much.

Other students need a "slower" class, where the teacher has time to go over things more carefully.

Students in the "slower" class should eventually reach the same level, but a student who wrongly goes into the "fast" class won't.

To do good physics, you need a good background in maths. Now is the time to get it, and it's best not to get into a class that will cause you a lot of extra work and worry, and will pull all your grades down. :smile:

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    tyrizzle,
    Don't worry about starting low. You have 4 years. Taking a couple of remedial math courses is no big deal. In a year, you'll be taking Calculus, so don't worry about it.
    Steve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook