1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Placement assesment help

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    tomarrow i have to take a quiz that determines what class i take next year in school. i have the answers to these problems but i dont know how to get all of them any help?

1. 2/3x + 1/2= 5/2

2. if 1/8 of a number is 12, then 1/4 of a number is?

3.if 3x+2=7x+5y, then x equals?

4. simplify (r2s4)^3/4 ?

5. the slope of a line x+2y=6 is?

6.simplify a/a^2-9 + 2/a+3 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi tyrizzle! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Sorry, but maths obviously isn't your thing …

Some students find questions like this easy, and they can go into a "fast" class where things aren't explained so much.

Other students need a "slower" class, where the teacher has time to go over things more carefully.

Students in the "slower" class should eventually reach the same level, but a student who wrongly goes into the "fast" class won't.

To do good physics, you need a good background in maths. Now is the time to get it, and it's best not to get into a class that will cause you a lot of extra work and worry, and will pull all your grades down. :smile:

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    tyrizzle,
    Don't worry about starting low. You have 4 years. Taking a couple of remedial math courses is no big deal. In a year, you'll be taking Calculus, so don't worry about it.
    Steve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook