Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Placenta & cord

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] Is the placenta and cord an extension of the fetus or of the host? We were talking about this, and have tentatively concluded that the DNA of placenta and cord would reflect the fetus rather than the host.

This came up in a discussion about 'two vessel cord'. I was wondering if that would be an anomaly of the mother's or of the baby's genes.

2] How do animals deal with the separation of the cord from the fetus? I know the mother will break the cxord and consume the products of labour, but that doesn't directly cauterize or clot the baby. In (modern) humans we must cauterize the cord or it will bleed out, since newborns do not have a clotting factor. Do animals have a more "proactive" clotting rate?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1] it is of the fetus. It is an anomaly of both the fetus and the mother, since diabetes can significantly increase the risk.

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Depending on which species you are discussing it can be primarily fetal or about 50% fetal/50% maternal. If you do a google search for "placental structure" and related terms you'll find more info. Here were a few I found, site 1 (species comparison), site 2(human only).

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The umbilical cord is usually chewed by the mother after she cleaned the newborn. By that time, the umbilical cord does not function anymore and blood will not come out. Human seems to be the exception.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?