Placental Hormones: HCG, HPL & Relaxin

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hormones
In summary, there are several hormones secreted by the placenta, including HCG, HPL, relaxin, progestins, and estrogen. However, there may be contradicting information from different sources, and it is recommended to trust information from reliable sources such as teachers and textbooks. It is also important to note that the secretion of hormones may vary at different stages of pregnancy.
Suraj M
Gold Member
Which are the hormones that the placenta secretes?
I have contradicting facts from the web, from my books and from my teachers
I know for certain HCG, HPL and relaxin are secreted, other than that?

Biology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I found this website:

http://study.com/academy/lesson/hormones-of-the-placenta-estrogen-progesterone-hcg.html

If I were you I'd have to go with what my teacher and course book say over anything found on the internet unless its from a very reliable source. There shouldn't be any contradictory facts here.
Hey, that link says that HCG is secreted by the fertilised egg and not the placenta! Huh?

What our teacher explained was that HCG is similar to LH in structure and similar to Progesterone in function, it actually stimulates the corpus Luteum to secrete progesterone
We were told that progesterone is not secreted directly from the placenta
I think that's wrong

Maybe that's true only in the early parts of pregnancy
What do they mean by later stages of pregnancy ?

jedishrfu said:
Pregnancies last 9 months and are divided into three trimesters each of varying time periods (see the timeline in the wikipedia article):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy#Physiology
That wasn't my question
I meant "later part of the pregnancy" because later is relative, so in this context when exactly is that?

1. What is the function of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG)?

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone produced by the placenta during pregnancy. Its main function is to support the development of the fetus by stimulating the production of progesterone, a hormone necessary for maintaining the pregnancy. HCG also plays a role in preventing the breakdown of the corpus luteum, a temporary endocrine gland that helps produce progesterone.

2. What is the role of Human Placental Lactogen (HPL) during pregnancy?

Human Placental Lactogen (HPL), also known as Human Chorionic Somatomammotropin, is a hormone produced by the placenta during pregnancy. Its main function is to regulate the mother's metabolism to ensure a steady supply of nutrients for the growing fetus. HPL also promotes breast development and prepares the mother's body for lactation.

3. How does Relaxin affect pregnancy?

Relaxin is a hormone produced by the placenta and the ovaries during pregnancy. Its main role is to help relax the ligaments and joints in the pelvis, allowing for easier delivery during childbirth. Relaxin also helps soften and widen the cervix, preparing it for labor and delivery.

4. Can abnormal levels of placental hormones affect pregnancy?

Yes, abnormal levels of placental hormones can have negative effects on pregnancy. For example, low levels of HCG can indicate an ectopic pregnancy or a miscarriage, while high levels may indicate a molar pregnancy. Abnormal levels of HPL have been associated with gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. Additionally, abnormal levels of Relaxin can lead to preterm labor and delivery.

5. Are placental hormones only important during pregnancy?

No, placental hormones also play a role in fertility and menstrual cycles. HCG is used as a marker for pregnancy in home pregnancy tests, and its levels can also indicate certain fertility issues. HPL has been found to have effects on the menstrual cycle, and Relaxin levels can indicate ovulation and may play a role in fertility treatments.