Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Places to Dress Up

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    My wife likes to get dressed up and go out, but we don't have a lot of money for going to fancy restaurants or clubbing.

Any ideas on places we could go out, where we would be able to get dressed nicely (the more formal the better), but that don't cost a lot of money (or preferably none)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2
    How about a promenade along a nearby river or park?

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    I didn't know clubbing was expensive (~15$/per two persons for a night).

Or, you guys can go to those classy picnics.

Personally, I prefer self serve food places and outdoor activities so I am not much help here.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Free concerts, maybe? Although most are pretty casual. After all, you usually have to sit on the grass.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh...church!

7. Sep 9, 2012 #6
    or movies! Most classy people I know either go watch movies or go visit those special events in the city (like food tasting) :rofl:

8. Sep 9, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Do you guys have people over? You could have a "bring your own" dress up party.

9. Sep 10, 2012 #8
    Winter is coming soon, but that's a good idea for the summer.

We're looking for something we can do regularly. Around here it's at least $10/person, which, if we do it weekly, is almost $100/month. Once in a while is ok though.

I don't know if there are many free concerts around here, I'll look into it.

This is a good idea, but won't work for us.

Food/wine tasting might be an idea, if I can find any nearby.

This is a good idea.

10. Sep 10, 2012 #9
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

11. Sep 10, 2012 #10
    There is a huge variety in churches. Almost anyone can find one that suits them, even some that are non-theist. That is a term being used as "athiest" used to be used before it was hijacked in popular usage to mean something else. They often become low cost social clubs for like minded people. You might start with a Unity church, which is very tolerant of all beliefs. If that does not suit you, then you will meet lots of people who are able to point you in a more suitable direction.

12. Sep 10, 2012 #11
    My daughter is big time into swing dancing. There are classes and dances almost weekly that are mutli-generational, but mostly young folks (late teens and twenties). They dress up and have a blast. The lessons are cheap, dances are pretty cheap, and the outdoor dances at the local park are free. Whether is swing, country, or whatever, dancing can be a very affordable way to dress up and have a lot of fun.

13. Sep 10, 2012 #12

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Art galleries?

14. Sep 10, 2012 #13
    You could go to a play. Depending on where it's at, it could be pretty cheap. If there are any colleges around, you could go to one of their plays. They're always really cheap because usually drama students have to go as part of the course.

15. Sep 10, 2012 #14
    There is another way to go to a play or other production.

Join an amateur dramatics or operatic group as a 'helper'.
    They are always looking for smart 'front of house' volunteers and you would get to see the production for free as well.

16. Sep 10, 2012 #15

Astronuc

or museums or libraries, especially if there is an interesting lecture.

Churches (or other religious institutions). UUs are mostly harmless. :biggrin:

There are groups like secular humanists or ethical culturists (Society for Ethical Culture). One could join the group for coffee and snacks or light lunch.

17. Sep 10, 2012 #16

russ_watters

How about an inexpensive restaurant like Applebees or a local Chinese restaurant? Or does it matter if everyone else is dressed-up too?

18. Sep 10, 2012 #17
    That pretty much limits it to funerals.o:) The devil made me do that.

19. Sep 10, 2012 #18

Evo

Sorry, I have to ask why someone that wants to dress up for a social outing would pick going to church? "Honey, we haven't been to that church yet and you look really hot in that outfit!. Let's go sit in a pew!" :uhh:

20. Sep 10, 2012 #19
    :rofl:

21. Sep 10, 2012 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That made me laugh!

In my very casual, denim-and-flannel world, the only places I know of where people dress up are funerals, weddings, and church. Well at least I assume they dress up for church - I wouldn't know o:).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook