Compiling a List of Top Physics/Engineering Colleges

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses compiling a list of good universities in physics and engineering, specifically mentioning MIT, CalTech, and UC Berkeley. However, the definition of a "good" university is subjective and can vary based on individual criteria, such as skills or employer recognition.
Ki Man
I was taking a look at the admissions info of some colleges in physics/engineering so i thought it would be nice if we compiled a list of good universities (the big famous ones and the little ones)

obvious ones:
MIT- massachusets
CIT aka CalTech- southern california
UC Berkely i heard was pretty good- mid/upper california

EDIT: i thought this was the academic/career forum someone please move this for me. please don't ban me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"good" is much too subjective...
It really depends on what specific criteria one is looking for.

thats a good point. how do you define good education...

thats a good point. how do you define good education...

For me, good education gives you skills more than knowledge. For some others, perhaps good education is that which is well-recognised/held in high regard by employers, whether it is good by the other standard or not.

1. What criteria should be used to determine the top physics/engineering colleges?

The criteria used to determine the top physics/engineering colleges can vary depending on personal preferences and goals. Some common factors to consider include the college's reputation and ranking, faculty expertise and research opportunities, curriculum and course offerings, facilities and resources, and job placement and graduate school acceptance rates.

2. How can I access reliable and up-to-date information about physics/engineering colleges?

There are several reputable sources for information about physics/engineering colleges, including college ranking websites such as US News and World Report, College Board, and Niche. It's also helpful to visit the websites of individual colleges to learn more about their specific programs and offerings.

3. Can I trust college rankings when compiling a list of top physics/engineering colleges?

While college rankings can be a useful starting point for researching top physics/engineering colleges, they should not be the only factor considered. It's important to do your own research and evaluate each college based on your personal goals and priorities.

4. What makes a physics/engineering college stand out from others?

Some factors that may make a physics/engineering college stand out include a strong reputation in the field, highly qualified and experienced faculty, state-of-the-art facilities and resources, a diverse and challenging curriculum, and opportunities for research and hands-on experience.

5. Are there any specific scholarships or financial aid options available for students interested in attending a top physics/engineering college?

Yes, many top physics/engineering colleges offer scholarships and financial aid specifically for students in these fields. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the college application process to increase your chances of receiving funding.