Places to visit in the UK for physicists

In summary: They also have all sorts of fun machinery and engines and stuff. Worth a look. Can't remember what it's called but I'm sure someone will know. Sorry.Oh, I also went to a cracking laser show at UMIST about 3 years ago. Not sure if they still do them/if they're any good, but worth a look. You get to see some pretty patterns and stuff. That's if you're in to that sort of thing of course...In summary, a Dutch Physics student is organizing a trip to the UK in May for a group of technical-oriented students. They plan to visit universities, companies, and other must-see places for physicists. Some suggestions include Cambridge, Oxford, Jodrell Bank Observatory, Trinity
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, I'm a Dutch Physics student, and I'm organising, with some other people, a trip to the UK next year ( somewhere in May ). Ofcourse study-oriented :) I have, ofcourse, already looked at the internet for some interesting must-see's for physicists, like universities , companies etc. Though I am a theoretical physicist, the trip is organised via my studentassociation, and that association is technical oriented (We call it technical physics, but I think most of the people would call it engineering). The idea is to go for a week or so,and Cambridge and Oxford are high priorities. Does anybody has some good advices, experiences etc? Many thanks in forward!

I'm quite new here, so if the topic isn't at the right place, don't hesitate to recplace it.

Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer : It might be best if you individually message or email certain members here. We can help provide a list.

matt grime - he's in Cambridge, and though he's a mathematician, he'll likely have good advice/ideas

brewnog - recent alumnus of UMIST and an engineer; don't see him around very much lately, but UMIST is a really good place for applied physics/engg.

jcsd - is either in theoretical physics or math...somewhere in the UK

El Hombre Invisible - I'm not sure what he is, but I think he's Brit.

I'm sure there's more folks around...

And if you can go to Dublin, make sure you visit Trinity College. They have an excellent Magnetic Materials group under Mike Coey.

http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Magnetism/

Ok, thanks for the replies ! Our idea was to stay around Cambridge. We had plans to visit the Jet ( fusionreactor) , the universities in Oxford and Cambridge, and we want to do one day London, that is, if everything is going according to the plan. That day in London would be the first of May, I've read that's some sort of special day ( banking day ) in England? I'm afraid Dublin is too far away; we would lose one day for traveling only. Anyway, if there are more good ideas, feel free to post them :)

^That's a Bank Holiday. Most places tend to have Sunday opening/closing times on a bank holiday. I'm not sure whether some places at the unis or the Jet might be closed, I can find out if no-one else around here knows, or there might be some info on their webpages.

If you are in Oxfordshire you might consider visiting the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. They have excellent science facilities in Laser physics, space science, neutron scattering, Particle physics and instrumentation.

www.cclrc.ac.uk[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturally, you will be visiting the Cavendish ...right ?

Cambridge - trinity college for Newton, Cavendish Laboratory

University of Manchestor/ UMIST - A quite famous place, with Rutherford, Bohr, and other 'less' known to general public such as Hans Bethe.

University of Bristol - Dirac originally graduated from here, then moved to cambridge.

Imperial college London - usually coming 3rd after Oxbridge in terms of 'reputation'. visit whe whole of university of london. Its got quite a number of people.

IF YOU CAN:

Queens university in Belfast, usually for like 20 pounds flight or something. Bell of Bells theorem graduated from here

Gokul43201 said:
Naturally, you will be visiting the Cavendish ...right ?

Now we probably will :)

Thanks everybody, our next meeting is next week, so I will present your ideas to the group, but there are certainly many interesting things listed here ! Too bad we can only stay for one week, but that's more of a luxuryproblem.

And I have another question : does anybody know if one can rent busses in England with the "non-UK convention" ( steer to the left etc ) ? I'm talking little busses here for, say, up to 9 persons.

You probably can, but I'm at a loss as to why you would want to. You'll suffer from poorer visibility when approaching or merging with traffic. It's probably a lot safer (and cheaper) to rent a standard minibus.

Gokul43201 said:

I'm here as well, doing Physics and Astrophysics at Birmingham.

Gokul43201 said:
haushofer : It might be best if you individually message or email certain members here. We can help provide a list.

matt grime - he's in Cambridge, and though he's a mathematician, he'll likely have good advice/ideas

brewnog - recent alumnus of UMIST and an engineer; don't see him around very much lately, but UMIST is a really good place for applied physics/engg.

jcsd - is either in theoretical physics or math...somewhere in the UK

El Hombre Invisible - I'm not sure what he is, but I think he's Brit.

I thought Matt Grime was in Bristol ?

Where are you Gokul ?

Dominic Mulligan said:
You probably can, but I'm at a loss as to why you would want to. You'll suffer from poorer visibility when approaching or merging with traffic. It's probably a lot safer (and cheaper) to rent a standard minibus.

Because I understood that not only the steer is reversed, but also the pedals :) ( gear, brake and gass ) I really wouldn't know how much time it takes before some-one would get use to that.

Gokul43201 said:

I'm back kiddo!

Matt beat me to suggesting Jodrell Bank, - big radio telescope. Only about 15 mins away from where I'm living now, so drop in for a cup of tea if you're around!

In Manchester, there's a cracking industrial science museum semi-affiliated with the university. I believe they've got Babbage's difference engine there on display.

1. What are some must-visit places in the UK for physicists?

Some must-visit places in the UK for physicists include the Science Museum in London, the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge, the Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire, the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, and the National Space Centre in Leicester.

2. Are there any specific sites or landmarks that are important to the history of physics in the UK?

Yes, there are many important sites and landmarks that hold significant importance in the history of physics in the UK. These include the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge where the electron was discovered, the Royal Society in London which has been home to many influential physicists, and the University of Edinburgh where James Clerk Maxwell developed his famous equations.

3. Are there any places in the UK where I can see interesting physics experiments or demonstrations?

Yes, there are several places in the UK where you can see interesting physics experiments or demonstrations. The Science Museum in London has a dedicated exhibition on the history of physics with interactive displays and demonstrations. The Royal Institution in London also hosts regular public lectures and demonstrations on various physics topics.

4. Are there any physics-related events or conferences held in the UK?

Yes, there are many physics-related events and conferences held in the UK throughout the year. Some notable ones include the British Science Festival, the Institute of Physics' annual conference, and the International Conference on High Energy Physics.

5. Are there any lesser-known places in the UK that are of interest to physicists?

Yes, there are several lesser-known places in the UK that are of interest to physicists. These include the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy in Oxfordshire, the National Physical Laboratory in Middlesex, and the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire, which are all major research facilities for physics in the UK.