Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plagarism scandal

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I recently was pointed at a rather interesting article:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/cul...-data-slip-into-the-scientific-literature.ars

about recently discovered widespread and long-lasting (5 years) plagarism in the field of gravitation physics.

One of the affected papers mentioned in this article is http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611014

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2
    how widespread is plagiarism in physics? if you had a wonderful idea could you go to your theoretical physicist "coworker" and get his opinion or would you only discuss it among trusted friends... it sure would suck to share an idea with a fellow thinker and get stabbed in the back... whats happened to the intellectual code of honor?

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't know for a fact, but I'd say it is common to see, maybe not to this extent though. Believe it or not Physicists are human.:rolleyes: Human beings are always tempted to lie and cheat to get ahead. It is indeed sad that this type of activity goes on in physics, but is it really surprising?

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought it was scholarship if you stole from lots of sources and plagarism if you stole from only one, or is that only in arts?

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5
    40 papers in a 22 month span, that seems ridiculously high to me, even if they were plagiarising you gotta give them some kudos for that rate of output!

7. Aug 24, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?