What is the name of the plagiarism checking machine used in Sweden?

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
In summary: I'm almost certain I've seen this somewhere before. Now where can that be?It seems likely that this is an idea that has been around for a while. It's possible that he is thinking of a specific machine or program that does this kind of check, but I'm not sure.
jackson6612
My friend studying in Sweden when visited the home country some months ago, he was mentioning that there they have some kind of a machine and when you submit an assignment, it can check if you plagiarize, etc. What is that machine called? Plagiarism checker? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Likes Mickle
Physics news on Phys.org
Plagiarism checker is a typical name. It's not really a machine, although they might have a dedicated one. There exists software you can just put on your computer that will check essays against an existing database or just search through google for plagiarism. You can look on google for examples

http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/

Correctly identified a paragraph I lifted from wikipedia as being plagiarized by just taking random phrases from the input and checking to see if they are on google. On the other hand an essay that I wrote myself passed the check because the phrases it picked out in it can't be found word for word in google

Whenever I was in high school we had to submit essays through a plagiarism checking service. Apparently the software would highlight parts of your paper in different colors for different degrees of plagiarism. Red was a direct copy/paste, yellow was bits and pieces matching, and blue was no plagiarism detected. Once you submitted your paper it would then become part of the database that the software used to check other peoples papers (no passing essays along!).

In high school teachers had us submit our work to a site called turnitin.com to check for plagiarism

This last summer the APS News July 2010 (Volume 19, Number 7) printed my letter to the Editor about plagiarism, Student Cheating Can Lead to Fraud at http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201007/letters.cfm" [Broken], with some germane comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
DR13 said:
In high school teachers had us submit our work to a site called turnitin.com to check for plagiarism

Turnitin is terrible. It picks you up for words that are pretty much paragraphs away to be similar. How much can one write before it is similar to another of the 7 billion of us?

Sorry, Blenton, I'm also an English learner, so I have to ask.

How much can one write before it is similar to another of the 7 billion of us?

Shouldn't it be: 'before it is NOT similar to'? Please guide me.

jackson6612 said:
Sorry, Blenton, I'm also an English learner, so I have to ask.

Shouldn't it be: 'before it is NOT similar to'? Please guide me.

It was correct as originally written, though the grammar was not perfect. I think he means that the more you write, the more it is likely some phrase in your essay will match portions of phrases in someone else's essays. For some types of assignments, there are only limited ways to write the answer and still give a correct answer.

I think the idea of a tool to identify when large paragraphs or entire papers are lifted from another source is a good one. On the other hand, I would be very cautious about using something that was flagging limited phrases.

Sometimes you don't even need Google! :rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
In many cases just using google is enough. Select some catchy phrase using specific and rare vocabulary and ask Google to search for it with quotes (that means - looks for the exact phrase).

Compare this search and this search to see for yourself.

Edit: well selected phrase may even not need quotes.

I'm almost certain I've seen this somewhere before. Now where can that be? :confused:

1. What is a plagiarism checker?

A plagiarism checker is a software tool that compares a given text or document with a large database of existing texts to check for similarities and identify any instances of plagiarism.

2. How does a plagiarism checker work?

A plagiarism checker uses algorithms and pattern recognition techniques to analyze the text and compare it with existing sources. It then generates a report that highlights any potential instances of plagiarism.

3. Are all plagiarism checkers the same?

No, there are various types of plagiarism checkers available, each with its unique features and capabilities. Some may only check for exact word-for-word matches, while others can also identify paraphrased content and structural similarities.

4. Can a plagiarism checker detect all types of plagiarism?

No, a plagiarism checker can only detect text-based plagiarism. It cannot identify plagiarism in images, videos, or audio files. Also, some types of plagiarism, such as self-plagiarism or idea plagiarism, may not be detected by a plagiarism checker.

5. Is using a plagiarism checker enough to avoid plagiarism?

Using a plagiarism checker is a helpful tool in identifying potential instances of plagiarism. However, it is not a substitute for proper citation and referencing. It is essential to understand and follow the correct guidelines for citing sources to avoid plagiarism fully.