Plan of attack for showing irreducibility?

• Thread starter justriot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, to prove that a polynomial of two variables is irreducible over a unique factorization domain, specifically the complex numbers, one can try showing that C[x, y] / (f) is not an integral domain by finding two equivalence classes of polynomials [g] and [h] whose product is the zero class [f]. Another criterion for irreducibility is "non singularity", where a polynomial is irreducible if it has no common roots with its two partials and this is also true for its alternative dehomogenizations. However, this criterion is not necessary and often fails. A specific example of using this criterion is proving that x^3 + y^3 + 1 is irreducible.
justriot
I'm trying to show that a polynomial of two variables is irreducible over a unique factorization domain, namely the complex numbers, but I don't know where to begin. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the polynomial?

My guess is that if the polynomial is of degree greater than 1, then it is not irreducible.

That's not true. For example, x^2+y.

Anyways, one thing you can try is proving C[x, y] / (f) is not an integral domain, which means (f) is not prime, and f has factors.

Er, I misread -- you want to prove it is irreducible. So, you just want to prove (f) is prime, which is true iff C[x, y]/(f) is an integral domain!

Last edited:
Shoot.

Now is showing that C[x,y]/(f) is not an integral domain would involve having two equivalence classes of polynomials
[g] and [h] whose product is the zero class which is [f]. So does that mean find g and h such that their product is a multiple of f? Oh and [g] and [h] can't be [0]=[f], so neither g nor h can be a multiple of f.

the polynomial

Last edited:
Note that if g and h
(i) aren't both functions of x alone
and
(ii) aren't both functions of y alone

Then gh has x^m y^n terms with m, n > 0.

remark: an open dense set of all polynomials of given degree consists of irreducible ones.

a nice criterion for irreducibility of polynomials of two variables is "non singularity".

i.e. if a polynomial f(x,y) has no roots in common with its two partials fx, and fy, and ifn this is also true for both alternative dehomogenizatrions of f, i.e. if it is also true at "infinity", then f is irreduible.

to find another dehomogenization of f, write f(x,y) as f(u/w,v/w) and multiply by w^d where d is the degree of f. this gives the homogeneous version of f, as as homogeneoius polynomial in three variables.

then to dehomogenize f again, just set either u, v, or w equal to 1. for example note that setting w equal to one gives back the original f.

it would also suffice to check that the three partials of the homogenous version have no common zeros except for (0,0,0).

the principle behind this criterion is "bezout's theorem". i.e. if a polynomial is reducible, then its set of zeroes has two components which must meet in the extended plane, at a point where the partials must vanish.

of course this criterion is not necessary and hence often fails. since many singular polynomials are also irreducible. in general irreducibility is hard to check.

example: to prove that x^3 + y^3 + 1 is irreducible, we homogeneize it as

[(u/w)^3 + (v/w)^3 + 1] w^3 = u^3 + v^3 + w^3.

The three partials are 3u^2, 3v^2, and 3w^2, which have only the common zero (0,0,0).

Last edited:

1. What is a plan of attack for showing irreducibility?

A plan of attack for showing irreducibility is a systematic approach to proving that a mathematical object, such as a polynomial or a group, cannot be broken down into simpler components. This is usually done by assuming the object is reducible and then deriving a contradiction, thus showing that the object must be irreducible.

2. Why is it important to show irreducibility?

Showing irreducibility is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the fundamental structure of an object. It also helps us solve problems and make connections between different mathematical concepts.

3. What are some common techniques used in a plan of attack for showing irreducibility?

Some common techniques used in a plan of attack for showing irreducibility include using theorems and propositions from abstract algebra, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, and applying properties of fields and rings to manipulate the object in question.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when trying to show irreducibility?

One challenge that may arise when trying to show irreducibility is finding the right approach or technique to use. This may require a good understanding of the object in question and the tools available to manipulate it. Another challenge may be in the complexity of the object, as some may require more advanced techniques to show irreducibility.

5. Can a plan of attack for showing irreducibility be used for any mathematical object?

Yes, a plan of attack for showing irreducibility can be used for any mathematical object that can be broken down into simpler components, such as polynomials, groups, and fields. However, the specific techniques and approaches used may vary depending on the object and its properties.