1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planar intersection question

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the plane that passes through the line of intersection of the planes 4x - 3y - z - 1 = 0 and 2x + 4y + z - 5 = 0 and passes through A(1, -3, 2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no clue on how to start this question, and was hoping that someone could offer some tips to get me started on the problem. I know how to find the line of intersection between two planes, but am unsure on how to find the solution to this question..

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can easily get two points on the line of intersection and you have a third point given. Do you know how to get a plane through 3 non-collinear points?
  4. May 11, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

If you know three points on a plane, and the points aren't all on the same line, you can find the plane that contains the three points, right?

You're given a point. Can you find two points that are on the line of intersection of the two planes? You should satisfy yourself that the given point is not on this line of intersection.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook