You now have three points that define a plane.

In summary, the problem is asking for the equation of a plane that passes through the line of intersection of two given planes and a given point. To solve this, you can find two points on the line of intersection, then use those points and the given point to find the equation of the plane that contains them.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane that passes through the line of intersection of the planes 4x - 3y - z - 1 = 0 and 2x + 4y + z - 5 = 0 and passes through A(1, -3, 2).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue on how to start this question, and was hoping that someone could offer some tips to get me started on the problem. I know how to find the line of intersection between two planes, but am unsure on how to find the solution to this question..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily get two points on the line of intersection and you have a third point given. Do you know how to get a plane through 3 non-collinear points?

spoc21 said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane that passes through the line of intersection of the planes 4x - 3y - z - 1 = 0 and 2x + 4y + z - 5 = 0 and passes through A(1, -3, 2).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue on how to start this question, and was hoping that someone could offer some tips to get me started on the problem. I know how to find the line of intersection between two planes, but am unsure on how to find the solution to this question..

Thanks!

If you know three points on a plane, and the points aren't all on the same line, you can find the plane that contains the three points, right?

You're given a point. Can you find two points that are on the line of intersection of the two planes? You should satisfy yourself that the given point is not on this line of intersection.

1. What is a planar intersection?

A planar intersection is a mathematical concept that refers to the point at which two or more planes intersect in three-dimensional space. This intersection can be visualized as a line or a single point, depending on the orientation and relationship of the planes.

2. How is planar intersection useful in science?

Planar intersection is useful in various scientific fields, including geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It allows for the analysis and visualization of complex three-dimensional structures, such as molecules, buildings, and geological formations.

3. Can a planar intersection occur between more than two planes?

Yes, a planar intersection can occur between any number of planes, as long as they are not parallel or coincident. In fact, the intersection of three or more planes is often used to determine the position and orientation of an object in space.

4. What is the equation for calculating a planar intersection?

The equation for calculating a planar intersection depends on the number of planes involved. For two planes, the intersection can be found by solving a system of linear equations. For three or more planes, more advanced mathematical techniques, such as matrix operations, may be needed.

5. Are there any real-life applications of planar intersection?

Yes, planar intersection has numerous real-life applications, including in architecture, engineering, and navigation. For example, architects may use planar intersection to design complex structures, and pilots may use it to determine their position and flight path.