Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck dust modeling and BICEP2

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Planck dust modeling has been released [re: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.2495] [Broken]. It appears to be consistent with the assumptions of BICEP2, but, that is an unsupported assumption. I expected an immediate reaction from the BICEP2 team, or other interested parties. Perhaps I am merely impatient, or the results are inconclusive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you Chronos for that link.

However, what is important for the BICEP2 result is to plot the magnetic contents of dust lanes - i.e. iron grains - that if aligned by galactic magnetic fields could emulate the B Mode polarisation of the CMB. Fingerprints of Galactic Loop I on the Cosmic Microwave Background

Following the DL model
    the authors would not seem to be looking at the relevant type of dust crucial to verify or otherwise the BICEP2 result.

Garth

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

CKH

Earth's atmosphere polarizes light fairly strongly. I'm not sure if this is caused by dust and in particular, by magnetic materials in the dust.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook