Where Does the First Second of the Universe Fall on the Time Line?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Planck Epoch, which marks the end of the first stage of the universe after the Big Bang. The speaker draws a line to represent the time line of the universe and marks 1cm to represent the end of the Planck Epoch. They ask how far along the line the first second of the universe would appear, and another person explains that it would be 1043 cms long, which is 1015 times longer than the furthest distance we can see in the observable universe. This highlights the extremely short duration of the Planck Epoch.
flotsam
I draw a straight line representing the time line of the universe. On this line I put a mark at 1cm and I say this represents the end of the Planck Epoch. So I can understand how tiny the Plank Epoch was, could someone tell me, how far along the line at this scale the first second of the universe would appear.
I imagine it would fall quite a distance along the line.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Planck epoch ends at 10-43 sec. after the big bang.
So if that time interval is represented by 1 cm. the line out to I second will be 1043 cms. long. Now OOM the Hubble radius, crudely the radius of the observable universe, is 1028 cms.

So your line will be 1015 times longer than the furthest distance we could possible see in the observable universe!

Does that give you an idea how short the Planck era is? :smile:

Garth

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I never realized it would be that much! The Planck Epoch truly is tiny and amazing to contemplate.

1. What is the significance of the first second of the universe on the time line?

The first second of the universe marks the beginning of time as we know it. It is the moment when the universe underwent a rapid expansion known as the Big Bang. This event is believed to have set in motion the formation of stars, galaxies, and ultimately, life.

2. How long is the first second of the universe in comparison to the entire history of the universe?

The first second of the universe is a very small fraction of the entire history of the universe. It is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years ago, while the current age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years.

3. How do scientists determine the timing of the first second of the universe?

Scientists use various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and analyzing the expansion rate of the universe, to estimate the timing of the first second of the universe. They also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand the events that occurred during this time period.

4. Has the first second of the universe been observed or studied directly?

No, the first second of the universe has not been observed or studied directly. This is because the intense energy and radiation from the Big Bang made it impossible for any matter or light to exist during this time. However, scientists have been able to gather evidence and make predictions about this time through various scientific methods.

5. Is the first second of the universe the beginning of time?

While the first second of the universe marks the beginning of time as we know it, it is still a topic of debate among scientists whether it was truly the beginning of all existence. Some theories suggest that there may have been events or entities that existed before the Big Bang, but it is currently not possible to confirm or refute these ideas.