Planck length at high speed

Imagine I had a ruler 1 planck length long, I then send it on a rocket close to the speed of light, does its length contract? It seems to my simple intuition, relativity would say yes and Qm would say no. Is there a simple solution to this ?

Answers and Replies

kimbyd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Imagine I had a ruler 1 planck length long, I then send it on a rocket close to the speed of light, does its length contract? It seems to my simple intuition, relativity would say yes and Qm would say no. Is there a simple solution to this ?
I don't think making the ruler that short is likely to make a difference. Special relativity and quantum mechanics are perfectly compatible (via Quantum Field Theory). There would be length contraction, regardless of the physical size of the ruler.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
(1) The Plank length is just a made-up human measure of distance and has no effect on physics. You might as well be asking if a meter stick would be subject to length contraction

(2) You WOULD have a problem since as far as is known, you could not construct a ruler that is one Plank unit long.

(3) All of that is moot anyway since your question implies that you think length contraction is something that happens to an object, but it isn't. It is an observation by someone in a frame of reference that is moving relative to the object.

Likes Mlesnita Daniel, windy miller, Frimus and 1 other person