Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Planck length confusion

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    If I understand correctly, the Planck length, or maybe a tenth of it, is considered the point at which quantum effects mess up any attempt to apply our present physical laws, and so one could not even in theory make a dependable measurement of something smaller. However, I was wondering what would be wrong with the following simpler argument; it must be wrong somewhere because my answer is too big.

Suppose we had some slit of width d . To measure it would require a photon with a wavelength of d/2 or smaller, that is, an Energy of at least 2hc/d, the equivalent rest mass of 2h/(cd). If we try to get the photon into the slit of width d, d will have to be bigger than the Schwarzchild radius r = 2GM/c2 = 4Gh/(c3d) . That is, d>4Gh/(c3d), or d>2√(Gh/c3) , but that is a factor of 2√(2π) too big, as the Planck length is √(Għ/c3). What is wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're reading into terms of order one when you only have an order of magnitude estimate.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. Feb 28, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Vanadium 50. I ask forgiveness for my own density (hopefully less than that needed to collapse into a black hole), but I am afraid that I don't quite understand your comment. What are you saying that I am estimating?

5. Feb 28, 2017 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Not "at which quantum effects mess up...." but "around which, give or take a factor of ten or thereabouts, quantum effects must mess up...."

The statement isn't precise enough to worry about a factor of ##2\sqrt{\pi}##

6. Feb 28, 2017 #5
    Thanks, Nugatory. Ah. So the Planck length is a rather fuzzy border?

7. Feb 28, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The Planck length is very well defined. The size where you have to worry about quantum gravity is fuzzy - just like the size where you have to worry about everything else. Are you making a 10% measurement? A 1% measurement? A 0.00000001% measurement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted