1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Planck length confusion

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    If I understand correctly, the Planck length, or maybe a tenth of it, is considered the point at which quantum effects mess up any attempt to apply our present physical laws, and so one could not even in theory make a dependable measurement of something smaller. However, I was wondering what would be wrong with the following simpler argument; it must be wrong somewhere because my answer is too big.

Suppose we had some slit of width d . To measure it would require a photon with a wavelength of d/2 or smaller, that is, an Energy of at least 2hc/d, the equivalent rest mass of 2h/(cd). If we try to get the photon into the slit of width d, d will have to be bigger than the Schwarzchild radius r = 2GM/c2 = 4Gh/(c3d) . That is, d>4Gh/(c3d), or d>2√(Gh/c3) , but that is a factor of 2√(2π) too big, as the Planck length is √(Għ/c3). What is wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're reading into terms of order one when you only have an order of magnitude estimate.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. Feb 28, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Vanadium 50. I ask forgiveness for my own density (hopefully less than that needed to collapse into a black hole), but I am afraid that I don't quite understand your comment. What are you saying that I am estimating?

5. Feb 28, 2017 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Not "at which quantum effects mess up...." but "around which, give or take a factor of ten or thereabouts, quantum effects must mess up...."

The statement isn't precise enough to worry about a factor of ##2\sqrt{\pi}##

6. Feb 28, 2017 #5
    Thanks, Nugatory. Ah. So the Planck length is a rather fuzzy border?

7. Feb 28, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The Planck length is very well defined. The size where you have to worry about quantum gravity is fuzzy - just like the size where you have to worry about everything else. Are you making a 10% measurement? A 1% measurement? A 0.00000001% measurement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted