Planck Length Paradox: Radius & Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Planck length as the smallest unit of distance and raises questions about the relationship between area, radius, and diameter in relation to this unit. The conversation also touches on the difference between Planck length and Planck area and the possibility of true paradoxes or simply theoretical concepts at this level. The conversation also notes the difference between mathematics and physics in regards to the concept of smallest units of distance.
Shootertrex
Assuming that a Planck length is the smallest unit of distance, I propose this:

Assume there was a circle of radius r and had an area of A. If I would increase this circle's area by 1 Planck length^2, would the radius change? The radius would theoretically change by less than a Planck length, but would the radius actually change?

Another would be if I increased this circle's diameter by 1 Planck length. Would the radius increase?

Are these true paradoxes, something that just happens at this level or do they not hold any water?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am certainly not an expert in Planck measurements (and I really doubt there is such a thing as a Planck expert), but I'm fairly certain there are 2 different measurements called Planck Length and Planck Area. Planck Area is a smaller unit than Planck length for the exact reason you are bringing up. There is also Planck Volume and I believe other similar measurements for higher dimensions, though I'm not sure how many of these have an established value as of yet.

Shootertrex said:
Assuming that a Planck length is the smallest unit of distance, I propose this:

Assume there was a circle of radius r and had an area of A. If I would increase this circle's area by 1 Planck length^2, would the radius change? The radius would theoretically change by less than a Planck length, but would the radius actually change?

Another would be if I increased this circle's diameter by 1 Planck length. Would the radius increase?

Are these true paradoxes, something that just happens at this level or do they not hold any water?

You seem to be mixing mathematics and physics. Planck length is a physics concept and the question you are raising is mathematical. In mathematics there is no smallest unit of distance.

1. What is the Planck length and why is it important in physics?

The Planck length is a unit of length that represents the smallest measurable length in the universe. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters and is important in physics because it is believed to be the scale at which quantum effects become significant and the laws of physics as we know them break down.

2. What is the Planck length paradox and why is it a paradox?

The Planck length paradox is a theoretical paradox that arises when trying to calculate the radius and area of a circle with a diameter of one Planck length. According to classical physics, the radius and area should both be equal to zero, but according to quantum mechanics, they should have non-zero values. This contradiction is what makes it a paradox.

3. How can the radius and area of a circle be non-zero at the Planck length scale?

At the Planck length scale, the laws of classical physics no longer apply and instead, quantum mechanics take over. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple places at once and have uncertain positions, meaning that even with a diameter of one Planck length, the circle could still have a non-zero radius and area due to the uncertainty principle.

4. Can the Planck length paradox be resolved?

Currently, there is no widely accepted resolution to the Planck length paradox. Some theories suggest that space-time itself becomes discrete at the Planck length scale, meaning that it is not possible to measure anything smaller than the Planck length. Others propose that the paradox is simply a limitation of our current understanding of physics and that a more comprehensive theory may resolve it in the future.

5. How does the Planck length relate to other fundamental constants in physics?

The Planck length is related to other fundamental constants such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant. It is defined as the square root of the ratio between the Planck constant and the gravitational constant, and it is also used to define the Planck time, mass, and energy. These relationships play a crucial role in various theories, including string theory and loop quantum gravity.