1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck Length Paradox?

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    Assuming that a planck length is the smallest unit of distance, I propose this:

Assume there was a circle of radius r and had an area of A. If I would increase this circle's area by 1 planck length^2, would the radius change? The radius would theoretically change by less than a planck length, but would the radius actually change?

Another would be if I increased this circle's diameter by 1 planck length. Would the radius increase?

Are these true paradoxes, something that just happens at this level or do they not hold any water?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    I am certainly not an expert in Planck measurements (and I really doubt there is such a thing as a Planck expert), but I'm fairly certain there are 2 different measurements called Planck Length and Planck Area. Planck Area is a smaller unit than Planck length for the exact reason you are bringing up. There is also Planck Volume and I believe other similar measurements for higher dimensions, though I'm not sure how many of these have an established value as of yet.

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to be mixing mathematics and physics. Planck length is a physics concept and the question you are raising is mathematical. In mathematics there is no smallest unit of distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook